HybridZ

Manual to Power Steering Conversion

Guest emry13

Guest emry13

So I just got a 79 280zx base model and Im looking to put power steering into it if possible. I would like to know what parts I will need for this project and whether this is the kind of thing an amateur mechanic should take on or should I maybe try to explain the project to a qualified mechanic?

p.s. If anyone knows a good way to install a new audio receiver where the stock radio is, I would be much obliged.

You pretty much need every thing. The power rack and pinion uses a different crossmember and I believe different tie rods. Getting the rack and crossmember off is kind of a pain but it all comes off in one piece. Then just remove the pump and lines and I think you're done. Double check the steering shaft though, because I'm not sure if they're identical. Also, if you decide to do the swap I have some of the parts I would trade for the non-power rack and pinion with crossmember. Good luck!