HybridZ

how do i set my timing

Guest mafiaz

Guest mafiaz

i got ms2 i got fuel and spark now my msq consists of different peoples setups my timing is not right im pretty sure. Im following the install write up from moby and i dont believe it applies to ms2 when speaking about timing. So i set the piston on tdc 50 degrees approximatly from tdc and put in megasquirt 50 degree offset. So in the write up the middle light is suppose to go on, when moving the distributor a little bit unfortunatly it doesnt do that but i do hear the fuel pump relay kick on. However when I crank the car sometimes the middle light goes on. I dont have a timing light is it suppose to be this hard?

Someone school me on this im really close to ditching the dizzy setup

mafiaz first settings.zip

With the light not coming on when adjusting the distributor I had the same issue, It didn't turn on. I remember someone saying that was for MS1. Was told by Matt at DIY that the light won't always turn on but the system is ok.

You need a timing light with an adjustable dial on the back of it so you can set the timing exactly. You need to know exactly what your timing is when the engine is cranking over. ( For example 28 degrees ) You then need to set the large number in Megatune to the cranking timing number by using the + and - buttons. ( 28 Degrees ). Mine was off by like .5 but that isn't an issue either.

That should do it. Everyone else please correct this if this is incorrect. I did mine this way and it runs great.

Guest mafiaz

i knew it had to do with timing Iam gonna go rent one with a dial on the back ;) so am i going to have more issues ...ill keep you guys updated...

dexter whats your setup like ? what version of code are you using with ms2 im finding the latest 2.886 has allot of stuff that adds to more confusion i might downgrade to 2.6. From the screenshots it looks like less figures to play and less problems to figure out

Hey Mafia, If you have spark at the plug wires a timing light will show where the engine timing is when cranking. If your going to rent a light make sure you can have it for an entire day. Just incase something does come up. Hook up the light and have someone crank the engine over while you check the timing.

My setup: 74 260z. Stock t-3 Turbo added to a rebuilt 83 n/a engine with flat top pistons. o-ringed fuel rail Mazda rx7 450cc injectors. turbo dist. n42 intake. N/a 5spd. 3'' exhaust with a flowmaster muffler.

I am running 2.68 I haven't finished tuning the car because I am installing an intercooler now. I need to mount my boost gauge, then I will get the wideband installed and dial the setup in.

ok got a timing light set it on tdc for #1 i than marked it, it also aligned with the grooves. set the dial on 0 cranked nothing all the way up to 60 degrees does that sound right. At 60 d eg the light was flashing right on my mark. so what the heck do i do with this number in megatuneunder basic ignition settings i tried putting degree offset to 60 nothing tried -60. After changing the offset degrees in megatune with a bunch of different numbers nothing worked.

I did change a little of my wiring cause i think my injectors are clicking too much, and fouling the plugs. The way I HAD it wired was db 37 pin 31 and 32 wired together then connected to one single wire to 3 different injectors (2 4 6)for 33 and 34 they were wired together then from that single wire to another 3 injectors (1 3 5) what I did is plugged 33 to 3 injectors and 31 to another 3. I thought it made more sense to me and it was stumbling a bit more sounded like it was gonna start.

I dont know im so confused now im not even trouble shooting anymore its more like crapshooting

Did you mark your pulley to show where 50 to 70 degrees are?.

Set the dist up so it looks like it is in the middle of the slots where the distributor lockdown bolts go. You can move it, if need be, later.

You have to get the timing straight or it will not start. Also have no fuel going to the injectors while trying to get your timing figured out, you will foul the spark plugs. Disconnect the fuel pump relay or pull the fuel pump fuse.

Ok, So what did megatune say your timing was when you were cranking the engine over?.

Also on your timing map, set the timing bins to 15 degrees across the table. Remember that when you get it running the timing map you set in the tables is what the engine is running off of.

sorry i may not be understanding some of the things you were saying or maybe you misunderstood me.

I am really clueless when it comes to timing this is the first time i use a timing light.

Dexter i actually did remove the injector plugs. however they were already fouled from trying to start the motor before hand. Then i cleaned them up. My oil reaks like gas now from trying to start.

What I did was set the engine on tdc Im using the msa harmonic balancer when i rebuilt my motor. I marked the pulley at 0 it lines up with the center of the teeth on the timing marker and crank pulley. I then took off plug number 1 put into the timing light thingy and cranked the engine no light came on i tried a bunch of advance on the dial of timing light it than started to light on 60-65 ish. Sorry to be really ignorant but i have no idea what that means. When the light started to flash it would be right at the mark i did on crank pulley with white paint. I plugged the value of 60 degrees in megatune degree offset i than tried -60 it sputter but nothing to rev or even idle. I also had the dizzy in the middle i tried moving forward and backwards still nothing. since day one nothing ever went smooth its been a huge headache This build!.... . I wish there was some local help around with ms experience.

sometimes after some cranking the middle light will go on on the ecu.

dexter could you elaborate more on the ignition map bins

on top of all this my usb hub on the laptop wont pick up ms anymore so i Installed and reconfigured megatune with my brothers laptop but he doesnt like the idea of me using his laptop >!?

Tomorrow im going to start a fresh new msq and downgrade to 2.86 from 2.88 its more complicated besides most of the squirters are on 2.86 and even older.

Can anyone review my msq in the review mode and note down anythign thats out of spec.

im running pretty much an l28et f54 .5mm over w/p90

stock injectors/intake/turbo manifold/t3 5-7 psi

2.5 inch downpipe

gm sensors air and coolant

60 mm tb and tps

spark plug gap i believe is .040 from manual

stock dizzy with high current driver board mod

how are you guys running your injector wiring? did i have it right before or its right now?

sorry for the rant people but this is getting on my nerves summer is over and i prolly have one more good month to try get this thing road worthy i have done so much to the car tokico struts springs eurethane new all around, 4x4 calipers front rear discs rebuilt the motor bottom all new rings bearings pistons head was fully tested by machine shop and slight resurfacesfresh ms fresh harness all new sensors interior i did lots of work its so close to getting done .! i even got so many goodies to go on but i dont want to get sidetracked till its running efficiently

What I mean by timing bins is at the top of megatune it says settings, tables, tuning. Click on the tables tab and it will then show ve table 1 and ignition table. You have to put numbers in each box for timing. You have to fill out the side columns also which say rpm and kpa. So find someones msq that is similar to your setup and fill in the boxes. The engine runs off of those boxes at certain rpms, that you filled in.

You have to get megatune on a laptop so you can get the engine running.

On your msa balancer. There should already be a timing mark on that balancer. From where you know your engine is at top dead center and your balancer is at the 0 timing tab mark. You then mark the balancer where 50-70 derees would be. After doing that, you crank the engine over with the fuel disconnected. See what megatune says your timing is, click on tools, then trigger wizard.

can anyone else lend a hand with explaining this if I am incorrect.

What I mean by timing bins is at the top of megatune it says settings, tables, tuning. Click on the tables tab and it will then show ve table 1 and ignition table. You have to put numbers in each box for timing. You have to fill out the side columns also which say rpm and kpa. So find someones msq that is similar to your setup and fill in the boxes. The engine runs off of those boxes at certain rpms, that you filled in.

You have to get megatune on a laptop so you can get the engine running.

On your msa balancer. There should already be a timing mark on that balancer. From where you know your engine is at top dead center and your balancer is at the 0 timing tab mark. You then mark the balancer where 50-70 derees would be. After doing that, you crank the engine over with the fuel disconnected. See what megatune says your timing is, click on tools, then trigger wizard.

can anyone else lend a hand with explaining this if I am incorrect.

dexter first off i appreciate all the help some people see my numbers of post and not actually the post itself im quite dissappointed with the feedback to be honest with you. P.S. i searched so many timing posts and its either questions dont get answered or applies to ms 1

yes i have megatune if you look at my msq attached above its completely filled i have an ignition table and fuel table everything from injection control to sensors calibrated tps everything... nothing crazy like barometric correction warmup no fidle nothing extra just basic

and yes i do got a laptop its running funny now doesnt pick up usb but i stil got another one to use

I changed the wheel decoder to a 300zx and it was marked which side was up (cause it makes a difference i dont know why the ♥♥♥♥ looks the same way both sides ) before i pulled it out a distributor and still nothing. Like i said before im completely crap shooting at this point.

back to ignition talk so the trigger wizzard i was looking into that you have to set the big number to what i get from timing light reading now mine says 60 that is way off update on that is i changed the coil and went it to 0 wierd! doesnt make sense i think i got a bad timing light. I know the engine build and timing was and is right. when i set it at number 1 tdc with cam lobes up distributor points to one anywho back to the topics. Wouldnt everyones ignition be the same ?! or very close when using a distributor on a l28et.

i dont understand ]im running a distributor which is mechanically spreading the spark from one point to another how does coil know when to be fired? is it through the pick up from CAS ? also how does it know the duration till the next cylinder ? sorry for the insane amount of questions but Iam trying to understand how this works more...

so what under basic ignition setting what is my trigger offset what is it usually around or is everyones completely different.

i have a edis 6 module vr sensor trigger wheel and coil pack that is just screaming for me to put it on but whats the point its more work that i cant do now. besides i want this car driveable sooon!

dexter first off i appreciate all the help some people see my numbers of post and not actually the post itself im quite dissappointed with the feedback to be honest with you. P.S. i searched so many timing posts and its either questions dont get answered or applies to ms 1

yes i have megatune if you look at my msq attached above its completely filled i have an ignition table and fuel table everything from injection control to sensors calibrated tps everything... nothing crazy like barometric correction warmup no fidle nothing extra just basic

and yes i do got a laptop its running funny now doesnt pick up usb but i stil got another one to use

I changed the wheel decoder to a 300zx and it was marked which side was up (cause it makes a difference i dont know why the ♥♥♥♥ looks the same way both sides ) before i pulled it out a distributor and still nothing. Like i said before im completely crap shooting at this point.

back to ignition talk so the trigger wizzard i was looking into that you have to set the big number to what i get from timing light reading now mine says 60 that is way off update on that is i changed the coil and went it to 0 wierd! doesnt make sense i think i got a bad timing light. I know the engine build and timing was and is right. when i set it at number 1 tdc with cam lobes up distributor points to one anywho back to the topics. Wouldnt everyones ignition be the same ?! or very close when using a distributor on a l28et.

i dont understand ]im running a distributor which is mechanically spreading the spark from one point to another how does coil know when to be fired? is it through the pick up from CAS ? also how does it know the duration till the next cylinder ? sorry for the insane amount of questions but Iam trying to understand how this works more...

so what under basic ignition setting what is my trigger offset what is it usually around or is everyones completely different.

i have a edis 6 module vr sensor trigger wheel and coil pack that is just screaming for me to put it on but whats the point its more work that i cant do now. besides i want this car driveable sooon!

The megasquirt fires the coil based on the low res pulse from the CAS, six slots for six ignition events.