HybridZ

t56

Guest triple_threat311

Guest triple_threat311

Alas I have found a t56 that i think I will be able to afford. but is this a good deal?

60,000 miles

transmission + bellhousing

$800.00

What has been your guys experience with the T56. Should I rebuild this or just wait around and see if I can get another one? WHat are the other costs that I will incur to use this tranny? i.e. clutch, slave, master cylender? is this transmission worth buying?

thanks for your help

anthony

Anthony,

Yes this is a good deal, but I think you will still spend $300 to $500 more for the rest of the items, unless someone else proves me wrong and I am way off base in my figures. A T56 owner can tell you, but I do think $800 sounds very reasonable. For exactly the same items, the T5 goes for $650 and the T56 goes for $1200 around here--way too rich for my blood. I held out to get a deal on a T5 and found one; the T56 is just too much for me. Glad you found a deal! icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Anthony,

From what I know, this is a pretty good deal. I am buying mine from a friend for $900, including the master/slave cylinders, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, and throwout bearing, plus he already polished the bellhousing, and it has like 2000 miles on it icon_biggrin.gif but then, he really needs money, and this is what he bought it for like 6 years ago when another guy really needed money. so I think a deal that good is hard or almost impossible to find, and should be priced mire like $1500 at least. Though in CA I would think you would be able to find a bit better deal.

Here is another thought, how much power are you planning on running? If you are going to be pretty high, you might need a new clutch disk/pressure plate setup... like a centerforce. now the dual friction setup alone is like 500, but I think (not sure) that the "Centerforce II" is rated to like 500 or so? This is a fair bit cheaper, but still not cheap, like 2-300 I think. Now that doesn't include a flywheel, which is about $150 for a decent deal (stock), you can't use the stock camaro master cylinder anyway, so now you only need the slave cyl. throwout bearing (of course it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace that anyway if you had it, after 60,000 miles that is) and your throwout arm, and your set to go.

One more possibility on the clutch setup, is if stock does it for you, watch ebay, every once in a while someone will put in a centerforce, and the original will only have maybe like 40,000, so if you order a stock clutch disk, and use a pressure plate from ebay, you'd be in the $200 dollar range for that I'm guessing.

So,

$800 (tranny) + $150 (flywheel) + $200 (stock clutch) + say $150 for the slave cylinder, throwout bearing, and arm + what $100?? for a master cyl. = that gives me $1400

now that is probably a little low, and those are just prices I remember off the top of my head,but I'm just trying to give you an idea of what is involved.

I hope this helps, and please ask if you have anyother questions, myself and other are happy to help,

Kris

P.S. I always call the clutch plate a pressure plate, even though some people get mad and say that a pressure plate is only automatics, that hooks to the torque converter. But I still call it that! icon_smile.gif

That's a deal - my 1st T56 (don't ask) was $1700! At the time I wasn't finding them any cheaper (sob). Before sealing th edeal spin the shaft and run it through the gears. Pull the drain plug too an dlook at th efluid. In my first trans the chip magnet had come loose and gone through the trans - it was UGLY. Destroyed the whole box too icon_mad.gif Does it come with a bellhousing? Slaves are cheap, if you've not got an LT1 you can't use the flywheel, you'll probably want a different shifter anyway. DO try to get the shift knob though!