HybridZ

Centerforce II and vibrations

Zmanco

Last weekend I installed a centerforce II clutch (pp and disc) in my L28 NA. I also swapped a different ZX 5 speed with better syncros. Since then I've noticed that there's a vibration that is not from the tires. It comes and goes at various speeds as well as rpms. For example, one minute the vibration will be at 3000 rpm, and the next it's gone and moved to some other rpm range. In other words, it's not consistently reproduceable. It almost feels like one or more cylinders aren't getting enough fuel. But I've done nothing with the engine and this started from the moment I drove it out of the garage with the new clutch.

I'm wondering if the ring of weights that are outside of the pressure plate fingers is moving around? You can see the weights in this picture. The vibration isn't bad enough that I think it will cause any damage, and it's more annoying than anything else. Still, after swapping to the P90 head where I cc'd the chambers to get to a constant volume, the engine had been so much smoother.

Has anyone else with a CFII had this issue?

01413523W_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Daniel.

Did you have the disk and pressureplate balanced prior to installation?  Can you provide an update as to what you did about your vibration?  

I spent a lot of time balancing my L28 also and am in the process of removing my older pressure plate and installing the Centerforce dual friction pressure plate and clutch and am looking to see if anybody has had any issues also.

Thanks

Jim