HybridZ

r32 skyline r200, cv shaft and brake swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has swapped in the r32 skyline gts-t's rear into an early z car.

I'm hoping to swap in the skyline's 4.36:1 viscous r200, cv shafts (shortened) and all four disc brakes (5 stud vented disc rotors, four and two pot callipers). These brakes look to be identical to the z32's brakes.

This swap would suit the rb20det engine and gearbox I've already swapped in. Import car parts are really cheap here in Aust, we can buy a whole skyline's rear subframe (diff, shafts and brakes) for $AUD500!

Some Questions:

1) Has anyone shortened cv shafts down to fit the datsun's rear? Do they need to be re-heat treated after being machined, and is expensive machining required?

2) Does anyone know if the mounting points of a skyline r200 is different from other r200s?

3) Will the rotors and cv shaft ends bolt into the z car's hubs, front and rear?

I too have given this serious thought. The rear suspension of the R32 Skyline is essentially the same as some other Nissan cars produced in the early 90's (the 240sx, 300ZX and Infiniti Q45).

This topic has been discussed before but here's what I think. The early 90's 240SX has excellent handling and since the car is similar in size to the 240Z I think the rear suspension components from that model would work better than Skyline. It's pretty obvious that the Skyline is a significantly wider car and as a result, you would probably have to adjust the length of the arms anyway. I don't know how abundant they are in Australia but 240sx's are fairly common in the states so parts would be easier and cheaper to get.

I know braking power is one of your priorities so in order to fix that just get rotors and calipers from a 300ZXTT. Drill the rotors to match the 240SX bolt pattern and they should work like a charm. 240SX's guys have been doing this for awhile now. As mighty as the Skyline is even it's R200 VSLD is not as stout as those of the Q45. The Q45's R230 is interchangeable with any of the cars I mentioned above so it'll be almost plug-n-play. Of course you can use the R230 diff from the Z but you would still need the CV Shafts from the Infiniti. When I had the car on the lift two days ago I contemplated machining some sort of mount to secure the 240SX subframe to my Z. It's only a matter of time til I figure out how to make it work since I foresee an R230 swap in the very near future for my car.

As with the diffs, the brakes are interchangeable between all the cars. I know the R32 and 300ZXTT rotors are same diameter but the R32 rotors are slightly thicker.

So 240sx rear suspension + 300ZXTT brakes + Q45 R230 = would sweet handling ride that can handle a gargantuan amount of power and have incredible braking power

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Azel, I'll check out the 240sx (200sx, 180sx, or silvia here in Oz). Though if I have to get the shafts shortened it's not a big deal is it? Just a matter of chopping the end off and getting a new spline cut onto the end?

The brakes are going to be interesting! I would prefer to keep the offset on the front and rear wheels the same, so I'm going to have to investigate what offset the r32's vented front rotors will give the front of my car, compared with a bolt over rear disc brake swap like the maxima calliper/bracket solution. mmmmm