HybridZ

diff ratios and turbo cars..

ZR8ED

I've been wrestling with this problem for some time now.

After my turbo swap..I found my 4.11 R200 was just too much gear and did not allow me to fully spool the turbo before shifting.. 1-3rd gear anyways... :(

Soooo I swapped in a 3.7 diff I found myself in an unusual situation again...I could not attain full boost till third gear????

Sooo I swapped in a 3.54 diff... FULL boost...the car got faster everytime I swapped in a taller diff..cool!

You'd think I was satisfied? NO SIR!

I have a 3.7 lsd diff staring at me here...LSD I said... I'm not sure if I should try it.. it will cost me a pretty penny to open it up and swap crown gears to change it to a 3.54 lsd... (diff is used in my daily driver..88 300zxt)

Question is should I even bother..I'm not sure why I could not achieve full boost with the other diffs..but by simply swapping the 3.54 it cured it instantly.

We figured at the time it was because the engine was not under enough load.

What do some of the turbo guys use for ratios? the difference between a 3.54 and a 3.7 is 5%..it can't be that big a deal is it? should I try and run the lsd as a 3.7? Traction is an issue for me...If I could launch harder I'm sure I could really break into some low ET's... I want the lsd...but I don't want too low of a ratio (numerically high) I know some of the really high hp folks here are going the other way with diff..ie 3.36's or lower (numerically) ratios.

This car is pretty quick with a 3.54 diff right now...seems a long way from my N/A days with a 4.11 hehehe

Am I crazy? was the car possibly not running right with the 3.7 to not get full boost in the lower gears? 13psi can be had in any gear now...

AHHHH can anyone shed some light on me?..its dark up here in winter time.

Thanks.