HybridZ

MSD 6A and OE FI

Tennesseejed

Anyone running a stand alone MSD 6A and OE fuel injection?

I have a '75 280Z and decided to try and replace the stock transistor ignition unit with the MSD box. The MSD box wires up fine and gives spark, but here is the problem:

The OE FI system takes an input off the of the coil (Pin 1). With the stock ignition unit, the coil terminals have 12VDC, and the transistor ignition until intermittently grounds the coil causing output on the coil secondary. With the MSD unit, there is no voltage on the coil terminals until the MSD box sends a voltage when triggered.

The problem appears to be that the OE FI is not getting the right signal on Pin 1 and the injectors are not firing properly.

The MSD forum has a admin post about the MSD 6A ignition only being used to "enhance" the stock ignition unit which is supposed to remain in place (not a z specific post).

Right now, the car will crank, fire, and immediately die. I have power to relay, injectors and everything else that needs battery power.

Is there a way to wire the MSD 6A to provide the proper signal to Pin 1 of the OE FI unit?

Thanks.

And, yes, I searched.

Thansk

• 6 months later...

Finally got around to wiring the MSD 6A unit as a stand alone ignition yesterday.

MSD adaptor 8910 will work as described in this thread, particularly in andrewgore's final post. (Here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22166)

Stock ICU went in the trash. Hopefully this might be of some use to others trying to do the same thing.

Next step is fuel only MSII.

Here is the Green Hornet with new Rota Rbs.

GreenHornet.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am about to buy an ignition today. I currently have a stock ignition coil and was thinking to go get an MSD blaster 2 Ignition Coil. Can I just buy this and just replace the old one, or do I still have to get the MSD 6-Series Ignition?

I am new to the Z scene so I don't know about these cars.

Thanks in advance.

Finally got around to wiring the MSD 6A unit as a stand alone ignition yesterday.

MSD adaptor 8910 will work as described in this thread, particularly in andrewgore's final post. (Here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22166)

Stock ICU went in the trash. Hopefully this might be of some use to others trying to do the same thing.

Next step is fuel only MSII.

Here is the Green Hornet with new Rota Rbs.

GreenHornet.jpg

I'm digging the Green Hornet. I was always under the impression that you could not remove the stock ignition module located on the passenger kick panel. I have the 6A with the solid state coil and tach adapter, but I've not gotten to install everything yet.

I am about to buy an ignition today. I currently have a stock ignition coil and was thinking to go get an MSD blaster 2 Ignition Coil. Can I just buy this and just replace the old one, or do I still have to get the MSD 6-Series Ignition?

I am new to the Z scene so I don't know about these cars.

Thanks in advance.

To the best of my knowledge, which is quite limited, you should be fine using the Blaster 2 coil with your stock ignition.

To the best of my knowledge, which is quite limited, you should be fine using the Blaster 2 coil with your stock ignition.

Would I still feel any difference with spark and performance though? or it's just the same performance as the stock?

Thanks

I'm digging the Green Hornet. I was always under the impression that you could not remove the stock ignition module located on the passenger kick panel. I have the 6A with the solid state coil and tach adapter, but I've not gotten to install everything yet.

There may be more than one way to wire a 6A as stand alone (than in the OP), but you can remove the original ICU completely. Where to put the 6A can be a little challenging too. Plus it makes a little noise - kind of a soft buzzing.

As far as performance gains from changing to the Blaster Coil (only), I wouldn't expect any. The reasons I would change to a complete MSD ignition system would be (1) reliability over stock system (2) efficiency/mileage, (3) smoother/easier starts and (4) stable performance at high rpms.