HybridZ

Details on R160 LSD

Guest zthang43

Guest zthang43

I'm wanting to find more details on the R160 LSD from the Subaru's. Here's what I want to know:

-What year and model car they came in

-Was LSD standard on these or a hard to find option?

-If they were an option, how do you spot them? do they have a tag that says LSD like the older GM rear ends?

-What do they look like compared to a R180 or R200?

-What gear ratios did they come in?

-To swap one of these in my Z, can I use either R180 or R200 halfshafts, or do I need R160 halfshafts?

-Any other stuff I would have to change or modify for this swap?

I have seen that several of you have said you have R160's, so if you could give me as many of the above mentioned details as possible, I would appreciate it.

Heck, once I do the swap I'll even do an abuse test and post a report of my findings. emo.gifemo.gif

Guest zthang43

Ok, I found a little bit of info, but I still need more. Looks like the R160 LSD was available in all models from 86 till ??. Also looks like 3.7:1 gears were the most common and the lowest available (numerically). Supposedly there is a gold foil tag on the diff with the gear ratio and whether or not it is a LSD.

Anybody know more about these? Is this info correct? I am hoping to find some sort of LSD with the 3.54 or 3.23 ratio, as I still don't have an overdrive tranny yet. Still kicking myself for not using a 5 speed in the first place. Maybe this summer...

DAW, the R200 LSD's are very, VERY hard to come by. If you do, they are in the neighborhood of $500 or so these days. Also, some of us want gear choices other than 3.70. I was just thinking about the R160 swap too, but if real world advice is to stay away, then I think I'll continue my search for alternatives. So far, for us hybrids, there is the R230 (almost a bolt in affair), and the Corvette IRS setup (definitely NOT a bolt in affair). That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The search continues for a cheap, easy swaped in diff. that can deal with good amounts of power... (sigh)

!M!

Guest Anonymous

HEY HEY HEY R200s are suppose to BE 25lb more than 180 AND WHO KNOW HOW MUCH MORE THAN a 160 ! 200r's are great for BIG hp. cars 180's will hold up in any 6cyl ( at least with in reality ). 160s are cheap and work well in most cases IN my experiance :rolleyes: I WOULD NOT **** YOU twak.gifrockon.gif GOOD LUCK

Guest zthang43

yeah I could tell the weight difference when I was underneath the car pulling the 180 out and benchpressing the 200 in. Made me feel like a weak little girl. I assume a 160 would be cake to put in compared to a 200.

Mainly I'm still wondering about gear ratio's for the 160 though. Anybody know what ratio's were available with LSD?