HybridZ

Mustang t5?

labrat

Is there any way to get a mustang t5 to bolt up to an older sbc? If these are essentially the same transmissions, can you just get a bellhousing to adapt them? GM t5's are fairly rare around here, while mustang t5's seem to be falling out of trees. I understand there is a difference in the ratio's, but they are both overdrive, so that's much better than my TH350...

FWIW, I searched here just a couple of weeks ago for a friend and found varying input shaft diameters and lengths b/t Ford and Chevies from a prior thread with same purpose. As you say, I'm sure it can be done but BLKMGK had stated the stangs were munching F*rd T5's so it might not be so worthwhile.

I guess I have allready been preaching on this subject a couple of times. But here is what I'm doing. I got the Ford Motorsports Superduty T5 tranny on Ebay. This is the one that is advertised in Summit for 1109$(or something like that). I got a chevy T5 case from 5speeds.com for the paltry sum of 45$, I also got a chevy input bearing retainer 21$ and their countershaft stabilizer 60$(billet bearing retainer instead of stamped steel). I'm combining a 10.5" Ford clutchplate with a chevy pressure plate, and I still need to buy the 30$ pilotbearing. I also need to either replace input shaft with chevy 92$ piece or have Ford piece machined shorter (I allready have Dualfriction Ford clutchplate so I'm opting for machining). The important thing to note is the first gear ratio you need a tranny with a 2.95 first (ie. ford superduty) if you wanna replace the input shaft with the chevy input shaft.

My reasoning for all this trouble is that the Ford Motorsports tranny is supposed to be the strongest T5 available, and it turned out to be the cheapest way to get a high performance trans.

Thure

thanks for the info on the t-5's, i think i may just bite the bullet and go with a t56. It has all the power handling capability i will ever want, and if i get one used it shouldn't cost me both arms and legs. I'm thinking about just stealing a new Z28 and getting it over with!