HybridZ

CV Swap and differential Info

Guest triple_threat311

Guest triple_threat311

I need a little assistance on the CV swap. I have CV halfshafts from a 81 280zx Turbo, the and the kit from Ross. The adapters are installed on the car and the locknut is torqued to 200ft/lbs. I popped out the two flanges where the old U-joints used to fit, and the halfshafts slide in. But I can't compress the shaft far enough to fit into the adapter. I compressed the shock to give myself a little bit more clearance, but It still needs just a little bit more to slide in. Is there a better way to install these? Do I have the correct halfshafts?

I also pulled the cover off the differential and drained the gear oil out. But I am not able to get the fill hole open. So since I have my halfshafts out, I put in a little bit over a quart in. But I am not sure exactly how much gear oil should be added. the POS haynes manual I have said I needed to put in 1 Liter, but I am not sure if that is for a R180 or r200. I have a r200.

Thanks for all your help

anthony

I'll let others reply on the shaft install (as they've done it more recently) but as for fluid volume, I've always put about 1-1/4 litres or so in mine (one US quart is 0.95 litres).

On a similar note just in case...to date 2 - 240Z owners found some interference with their stubnut and CV shaft end cap which one resolved by sectioning/shortening his end cap by ~1/4" and shortening his inner CV spring slightly to match. Neither Scottie nor I know what combo led to that interference as he's not heard of it from anyone else and neither have I till just recently. Just a possibility that has arisen but first you'd need to have your CV endcap into the adaptor to discover that.