HybridZ

camaro rotor swap. question on yota caliper mount.

i have searched and searched. i have spent coutless hours on hybridz just searching everything i could possibly think of.

my question is this. i understand about the outer bearing, and inner grease seal.

i understand about grinding out the slot for the rotor on yota caliper.

my question is. how much modification does it take to bolt the caliper up?

i have looked for hours and found no explanation on what it takes to get the caliper bolted down. i want to know everything there is to know before i go pullin stuff off.

also. i will be running 17x9.5 2002 camaro ss 10-spoke wheels. will i need a spacer to run these on the front with this brake setup?

The person who could possibly know this answer is Jody, who owns this car: driv-side-2.jpg

jbc3 is his forum name and has this signature:

1978 280Z, LT1,T56, R230, MMC Billet Stubs/CV adaptors, 3rd Gen Camaro front Hubs/Toyota 4 piston calipers, 4th gen Camaro rear brakes.

1/4 mile 10.629 128.47 MPH 1.540 60' Dyno 1/27/06 NA 404.5 RWHP/405.1 TQ 125 dry shot 517.3 RWHP/588.9 TQ

(old head/cam combo) http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...9EF830190F.htm

Vid of the car after new head/cam/intake swap - no numbers YET http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...f000d404cd.htm

Take a short ride with me http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...2b0024e89c.htm

Hope that helps.

Davy

I run front 3rd generation Camaro rotor/hub, changed the outer bearings and then offset s12's brake pads on the front. I had to get custom bearing seals. I modified the rear '95 Camaro brake base and rear brakes. I just made a few measurements and modified it all to make it work. I have no detail or measurements. Some of this info is from a few years ago.....search.

Jody

well i have already read all your posts about this, and everyone elses. but no where does it mention anything special about actuall bolting the toyota calipers to the z.

that is what my concern was. does it just bolt on? aside from the other adjustments needed for the rotor gap.

Just like anything else when adapting things like this, measure the location of the brakes in relationship to your rotor and take what it takes off of the brake mounts to center them on the rotor. Now I will admit that using new rotors, the opening of the s12's were actually just a little to small, so I actually put my brake pads on a sander and took off what it took to make it fit... a few thousanths each. I also had to clearance the opening of the brakes because the rotors are quite large. Both of them were actually very different, so you will need to get in and do what it takes. I suspect that normal rotor wear will most likely clearance the opening so the next time I won't need to clearance the brakes, or you could have them taken sown slightly.

Do I claim to be an expert... no, but so far the brakes do quite well.

Good luck, Jody

ok, well, maybe i misunderstood him. i know about enlarging the opening for the rotor, but i thought he said i would need to grind the actual "mounting surface" to center the caliper on the rotor.

meaning where the caliper actually bolts to the spindle. please correct me if im wrong.

i will find out soon enough but i just wanted to know ahead of time.

Unless you are using something different... you will need to grind the S12 mounts. I suppose you could do the brake mounts, but putting it on a machine would be a little tough. You will be able to tell as soon as you mock it up.

Jody