HybridZ

installing electric fuel pump

inlawZ

1st off i have a 71 240z. i am going to be dropping in a built used motor i got which is a n47 head on a l24 block. the n47 head has a block off where the mechanical fuel pump should be (if it was an E88 head). so im going to be installing an electric fuel pump. the person that gave me the motor also gave me a fuel pump (unsure of brand) but it says 5psi on it. will i need a regulator? i don't know if 5psi is too much so please let me know if this will work or if i need a regulator. Thank you!!

Also, if i do need a regulator is there a specific/recommended one i should get?

thanks again!

You didn't say what your fuel delivery system is, but I'll assume it's the stock SU carbs. 5 psi is a bit on the high side as the spec is 3 psi IIRC. But you may find that it's ok with that particular pump. Bolt it up and if the carb floats don't leak I'd just run with it.

If not, don't waste your time with the cheap fuel pressure regulators for $20 at the parts stores. I found that they need a larger difference between the inlet and outlet pressures to work well. They can't handle dropping 5 psi to 3 psi reliably. In the end I went a different direction so can't recommend a specific brand of FPR, but I think you'll find it's cheaper to just buy a different pump than to buy a high quality FPR.