HybridZ

Help-Ford T5 to sbc???

Guest Frank280z

Guest Frank280z

Got a great deal on a t5 from an 86 gt. My brother went with tremec tko. Pete I know you did this setup. What am I exactly getting into.$$ So far I know I have to change the pilot bushing and clutch disc. What do I do about the bellhousing? I guess I will be selling the M21 shortly after this. What are these things worth? Thanks for any input.

Frank

Guest Thurem

Hey

I have expounded, a few times on this subject, cause I'm doing the same thing.

I replaced my main case with a chevy case, brandnew from 5speeds.com for 45$(price may have changed). I also got their 5'th gear stabilizer, which is a billet steel bearing retainer for the countershaft, 60$ app.. You will also need an input bearing retainer,in steel, from the same place for about 21 $, this is the same piece the throwoutbearing rides on. If your trans has a 2.95 ratio first gear you can replace the input shaft with a chevy unit, otherwise you need to get yours shortened. By the way mine is still apart until I figure the gearing in my rearend, so I can install the correct speedo gear while it is apart. rockon.gif email me for questions.

Later Thure

Guest Frank280z

Thanks for the info. Did a search...Looks like a bit more involvement than I wanted. I would like to just change my clutch disc and change the slave unit. Guess I'll keep looking for a GM unit.

Frank

Guest Thurem

Not really all that hard. Hardest part was pressing off a bearing that wouldn't clear the case when taking out the counter shaft. Just get a manual for the T5.

Thure 2thumbs.gif