HybridZ

Mid engine LS1/T56

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got an LS1 pull-out with a T56 manual box attached to it.

I'd like to install it into a mid-engined, rear drive chassis so I need a suitable transaxle unit.

I've been looking at pictures of the T56 based transaxle used in the C5 - it looks like the differential replaces the tailhousing on an otherwise standard T56.

Has anyone tried bolting a C5 diff unit onto the back of a standard T56 transmission to convert it into a transaxle?

The alternative is an upside-down Porsche transmission, or a full race spec Hewland unit ($25k!!) :eek:

Guest Anonymous

I was up at the Ultima factory open day on Sunday, I've been toying with the idea of building one for a couple of years - although I'd probably go for the Can-Am over the GTR. I've had a couple of test-drives and they are awesome cars, but ultimately there are very few bits of road or even very few bits of track that justify such a car.

The Renault unit doesn't seem to be up to the job - I'm trying to get some more information on the limits of the Audi transaxle.

The pointers for the other Porsche units are worth following up.

Hewland make a whole range of transmissions, most of them designed for single-seaters hence the low price - only a couple of models are good for a decent V8 - lovely fully sequential boxes but very expensive.

I've attached some pictures of the car that I'm about to start building - all up weight should be under 1600lb's and I'm aiming for 500bhp from the LS1, so performance should be fairly entertaining.

Any more bright ideas welcome!

Pic1_800.jpg

Pic2_800.jpg

Pic3_800.jpg

Guest Tht1KSguy

Doh!!! bonk.gif You just missed it a couple of days ago i mentioned one of those C5 transaxles up on ebay. Sold for a whopping $510. Ebay ad If i ever win the Powerball this is what i'll build Ultima GTR it's basically a works tube chassis race car in street trim. The T56 transaxle looks longer than the G50 porsche. I wonder how the measurements compare from the centerline of the axles to the front of the bellhousing. And how does it shift? It almost looks like solenoids on the transmission. Good luck

do a web Search on the GT-40 replicas. There are several manufacturers in Europe (Tornado) and the US (ERA) which I think they use Audi or Renault transaxles. (originally FWD), They are able to deliver the power of a mid-mounted 351. They are compact, and probably cheaper than a Porsche or Hewland.

There are other Porsche transaxles besides the 911/930, the 914 and 924/928/944 would not have to be flipped upside down.

Every month in Hemmings Motor news there is an ad for Hewland transaxles at $3,000.

Guest Anonymous

That is a sweet looking car. Reminds me of one of the lotus's somewhat (or was it a Jag?). All I can say is building one like that with a LS-1 is "I am not worthy" hail.gif cause dude, you rockon.gif ! 1600 lbs, midship, yeah man that'll be 'entertaining' as all get out I'd imagine. cheers.gif

Regards,

Lone

There are a group of guys who put small blocks in porsche 914s and use the porsche gearbox. The standard one the 914 comes with is good up to 300hp, but they do seem to have to baby them to keep them alive. I always thought the subaru gear box would be nice for a mid engined car but they are not the strongest. Mabye the 6 speed out of the lastest STI WRX would be up to it.

Here is a link to the Porchev fellows:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/main.htm

Cheers,

Douglas