FYI, here is what S&S told me about my LT1 / 76 280Z:

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:12:40 -0700

To: Rob MacMorran

Subject: Re: full length headers for engine swap application

hi Rob

Part # 5205 with engine back against the firewall. 1 3/4" tubes are

larger

than all Chevy ports.

Can do the oxygen sensor- need location.

At 03:33 PM 2/19/01 -0800, you wrote:

>I'm interested in full length S&S Headers for the

>following application:

>

>Engine: 1995 Chevrolet Corvette LT-1

>Vehicle: 1976 Datsun 280Z

>

>Obviously clearance is an issue. I saw your sbc full

>lengths on the web site, but I am pretty sure the

>newer lt-1's use different flanges ( I could be wrong.

>)

>

>The only other concern is that I need to be emissions

>legal so I would need an O2 sensor mount.

>

>Do you have anything that might work for me?

>

>Thanks!

>

>- Rob MacMorran

>

>__________________________________________________

>Do You Yahoo!?

>Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35

>a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

>

Thank You

Loren Barnes

S&S Headers, Inc.

Ya' know - those guys seem awful responsive and knowledgable. I don't want to run longtubes due to clearance issues but have been frustrated trying to find a large tube header in a shorty config. Methinks that these guys would actually be able to tell me what header would fit - I know they've got them in a size I'd like.

Opinions on what it would take to support between 425 and 500hp? We've beat this horse before but I'm not sure we ever had a real clear conclusion - ie part number that we agreed would work in an early Z... I HAVE finally decide on a distributor though - ACCELL has one that's NOT HEI with a nice small cap and HEI style terminals. I'm going to push this puppy as far back as I can - no hood latch at all on this guy!

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Update..

I bought the headers, and they are really nice. Powdercoated. UNFORTUNATELY...

They hang down about 3" below the pain, and they can't be mounted without removing the knock sensors. These headers are part number 5205HPC. Consider yourselves warned.

I don't know what I'm gonna do now...

Guest Anonymous

If I can figure out what to do about the knock sensors (relocate them?) I will attempt to use what I have. If I absolutely can not use the S&S headers, I will either have them bent/shortened/recoated, or beg S&S to take them back. Then we'll talk about those Flowtechs. icon_smile.gif

Judt realize that the FlowTechs are possibly flow limited (nyuk nyuk) and that I've got no knock sensor of my own so I don't know about clearance. I DO have a later model block though so if there's someplace you'd like me to check clearances for you I can try. I've got an old DFI knock sensor laying around somewhere... icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Night_rider_383

I'm not knocking S&S they seem to know there work but it seems this is the same headers they tell every body to use on a v-8 z no matter what. I e-mailed them a few days ago and just got a reply back and they told me the same header p/n 5205 1-3/4'' tubes, have to sit the engine back at the firewall. Now when i e-mailed them i made it clear as of my use and engine

"I need to see if you have a long tube header to fit a datsun 240 z with a chevy small block. The engine is based on the pre 80's type, 383 stroker, 6-71 blower, I'm looking for around 800 hp in the upper rpm band 6800-7500 max rpm. This car will be used for nhra heads up type racing with some street time, very little just cruzin the around town hot spots and some time on the hot rod power tour east. I need a set of long tubes with at the very least 1-3/4'' tubes but would like 1-7/8'' or 2'' tubes if you have a set like this. Thanks for any info"

What do yall think about this header? Has any of yall ran s&s before?