HybridZ

LS3 questions: accessories? 24x or 58x?

Heya,

I've come across a LS3 I'm about to buy, but I have some questions for the LS-series owners/experts here.

But first, the item in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___LS3-CHEVY-ENGINE-500-HP-T56-TURNKEY-FITS-LS1-LS2-LS6_W0QQitemZ370116798716QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item370116798716&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Given these choices, which would be better and why? Yes, I've searched, but don't understand everything, and the relevant articles aren't from a Z-car perspective!

24-tooth, or 58-tooth?

Z28 accessories or corvette?

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give.

-Ryan

That price seems high to me. But on the other hand you dont have to piece anything together.

My dad had fbody(camaro) acessories in his 240z. I think I have seen corvette acessories on some too. The difference between the vette and fbody is the placement of power steering pump and alternator as well as the crank pully. The vette pully is just a little shorter and inturn the acessories are a little closer to the block. The vette alternator is up high on the driverside and the power steering pump is lower. the fbody alternator is low on the driverside and powersteering is up on the driver head.

The reluctor ring dosent matter as long as you have the computer to match it. Personally I think the 24x ring is more popular right now, but the 58x computers are far move advanced and can be tuned really cool with say a 6speed automatic. most 2005 up gm stuff is 58x fyi I believe I posted in here the other day explaining it a lil.

Good luck with your project!

Your sentiments on the price mirror my own. As a bookish computer guy, I truly want to go the simpler route.

I saw your posts in the other thread, and considered just asking these questions there, but felt it would have gone outside the scope of the thread.

Based on your opinions, I believe I'll go with the corvette accessories, with the 58-tooth crank.

Again, thank you.

Also before taking the plunge look at some the gm sites I have been on ls1tech.com for a long time there is like 130,000 members there. Lots of stuff on there to check out. Personally I would look at a motor built by a speed shop and look a wrecked car to get the trans acessory and pcm from. ♥♥♥♥ for $10k you could get alot. If interested I can pm you some sites but you can get an ls3 stroked to a 418-427 for $7400. the other $3000 you save you could get everything else.

I personally have a whole bunch of LSx parts I have aquired over the years. I'm going to be running a 2005 forged LS2 with 2007 LS3/L92 heads and intake. I'm gonna use 2001 fbody acessories 2000 fbody wire harness and 2002 pcm, oh yeah a 2002 fbody t56 transmission.

Another big selling point for me was that it comes with all the sensors, wiring, the computer, and built tranny.

I was going to go the gmperformanceparts.com route and try to find a tr-6060 to match it, but finding one for sale from a reputable company was proving very difficult. I was worried about the t56's ability to withstand the amount of torque that would be thrown at it. With built syncro's and gears, combined with their feedback and the fact that they use it themselves, I was pretty much sold from the word go. :)

My main worries were fitment and parts availability.

The intent of this project is to build a car with low maintenance cost, good gas mileage (compared to the original engine), great power-to-weight ratio, and many of the modern amenities we enjoy in cars today.

I know I could go a cheaper route, but after 18k I think I'll be happier than if I'd gone and used the money on a new car.

Of course, once I'm done, I'll go straight back to another tour in Afghanistan so I can save up for a house! The things we'd do for our Z's, eh?

-Ryan

Another big selling point for me was that it comes with all the sensors, wiring, the computer, and built tranny.

I was going to go the gmperformanceparts.com route and try to find a tr-6060 to match it, but finding one for sale from a reputable company was proving very difficult. I was worried about the t56's ability to withstand the amount of torque that would be thrown at it. With built syncro's and gears, combined with their feedback and the fact that they use it themselves, I was pretty much sold from the word go. :)

My main worries were fitment and parts availability.

The intent of this project is to build a car with low maintenance cost, good gas mileage (compared to the original engine), great power-to-weight ratio, and many of the modern amenities we enjoy in cars today.

I know I could go a cheaper route, but after 18k I think I'll be happier than if I'd gone and used the money on a new car.

Of course, once I'm done, I'll go straight back to another tour in Afghanistan so I can save up for a house! The things we'd do for our Z's, eh?

-Ryan

Let me just throw one more thing out there. the tr6060 is basically just a newer version of the t56 built with a lil more beef from the factory but as with the older ls motors you can build a built proof t56 for a decent price. I abused the hell out of my last t56 450 rwhp and lots of drag racing it held its own.

Seriously check out ls1tech you can find similar deals from their sponsers too.

Anyhow good luck with your build.

• 2 weeks later...