HybridZ

solid axle for 240Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have A 73 240Z and looking for some in's & out's from people who have done this. I am going with A 88 corvette tpi 350 700R4 combo. I know I could (get away) with my stock rear. But the 350 has A few mod's going on later on that will tear-up the stock rear. So I want to do this while I have the car torn down now.

I do have the proper place and people with me on this. We would like to see and or hear what others have done and what you would or wouldnt do again.

I am not looking for A big wheel tub this is A car for show & go. I want A car I can drive aswell as run @ the track. cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

At this point I am looking @ doing A clone of my friend's (who is helping me with this and owns the shop) 93 corvette twin turbo with 2 stage fogger N.O.S.

But that's on the table for later.For now I have the 88 tpi vette motor and 700r4. That will go in so I can have some fun for alittle while. It's going to take me some time Saving the $$$ up for the LT1 motor and richmond gm 6 speed.

He has the exaust manifolds and turbos @ the shop waiting. But I dont want to go overboard on A stock gm tpi motor with stock other then shift kit 700r4.

What I have now is sitting on stands @ the shop.

We plan on putting in A 8 point cage. But the subframe for the new rear needs to go in before the cage so here I sit.

I Am just looking to see if anyone can give A heads up on what we should look out for or A easy way they may have found.

p.s. his vette pulled out 675 real hp on A dyno.

twak.gif

Guest Anonymous

Its an opinion, but your TPI motor is probably going to take more that just a few mod's to bust a R200. That said though, the half shafts and stub axles are still getting torn up right and left even despite everyone's saying how reliable they are. I guess it depends on how much you hammer it, but I don't remember to many if anyone that has said, oh yeah, I never have broken a U-joint or stub axle ever in my HybridZ and I race all the time.

Sooooo, backhalfing IMHO my not be such a bad idea. You basically can get all the stuff from Summit or Jegs, its a matter of putting in a back sub-frame to hold all the 4 link stuff. It ain't cheap, but a 9" ford or a Dana rear end with a 4 link will allow you to concentrate on something other than will my U-joints in the halfshaft hold up to this new load of Nitrous and you'll make the tech inspectors much much happier once you get into the 10's, some tracks (all are really supposed to if they conform to NHRA rules, its a NHRA rule to send you packing unless the rear IRS has a upper and lower control arm once you break into 10.99).

Just an opinion and worth what you paid for it. :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Lone:

Its an opinion, but your TPI motor is probably going to take more that just a few mod's to bust a R200. That said though, the half shafts and stub axles are still getting torn up right and left even despite everyone's saying how reliable they are. I guess it depends on how much you hammer it, but I don't remember to many if anyone that has said, oh yeah, I never have broken a U-joint or stub axle ever in my HybridZ and I race all the time.

Sooooo, backhalfing IMHO my not be such a bad idea. You basically can get all the stuff from Summit or Jegs, its a matter of putting in a back sub-frame to hold all the 4 link stuff. It ain't cheap, but a 9" ford or a Dana rear end with a 4 link will allow you to concentrate on something other than will my U-joints in the halfshaft hold up to this new load of Nitrous and you'll make the tech inspectors much much happier once you get into the 10's, some tracks (all are really supposed to if they conform to NHRA rules, its a NHRA rule to send you packing unless the rear IRS has a upper and lower control arm once you break into 10.99).

Just an opinion and worth what you paid for it. :D

Regards,

Lone

Thats just it. I dont want to deal with all the bs later on when the big hp is ready. At that point I would rather be able to bolt in the big hp and not worry about jack. twak.gif

I just look @ it and feel that while I have the car down to the core this is the time. Do it rite the first time and forget about it.

Nice Bike lone. hail.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thank You mike kz. Funny I was thinking about 90% of what you have in that parts list. 2thumbs.gif

You just gave me what I was looking for. cheers.gif

Nice ride!