HybridZ

Money!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok folks. Assuming i have all my chassis and brake work already done, and i have an engine sittin on the stand, with a good ole t56 already bolted up...What are the average cost of tossing all this stuff inta a 76 280 2 seater? And what kinda tranny tunnel, firewall, and whatnot mods will have to be made? Tanks in advance, wot?

I doubt you'll have to make any tunnel or firewall mods in a 280Z. The 280Z has a wider tunnel than the 240Z because it had to house catalytic converters in the stock exhaust. I'm not sure, since I don't know firsthand how much work is required to put a T56 into a 240Z and how much wider, exactly, the 280Z's tunnel is. The one firewall mod that will have to be made is a swap or move of the hood latch.

Why don't you look at the Technical Info on the Forum's black page when you log in? Mike Kelly has done a superb job of documenting the T56 install.

Assuming you have purchased and read the JTR manual cover to cover, there won't be any firewall mods per se if you use a Chevrolet engine.

The JTR kit is about $350, alum. radiator $180, hoses and such $50, driveshaft mods $150-$250, etc. You are asking an open ended question that requires a long answer; sorry to not put all the costs down, but $$$ spent totally depends on if you buy new or used parts, the type of quality of parts, etc. Figure you will spend at least $500-$1000 to get from where you are to finish, maybe more maybe less. HTH.

David

Guest dankinzle

well i started with just an engine this past month, and somehow I've found a way to go wayyy over budget. Make sure you plan everything so you don't run out of money. I have to skip lunch every day for a month now...j/k. icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I'd save another 500.00 to a 1000.00 bucks just in case. Not to be a bummer here, but it adds up so very fast by the time you put in all the incidentals (hoses, clamps, wiring connectors, relays, electric fan, clutch master, clutch slave hose and fittings) assorted bolts and fasteners, electric fuel pump and oil pressure fuel cutoff. I'm sure I've forgotten even more of the stuff. I know I was at the speedshop and a fastener supply place (I have a huge can of assorted grade 8 fasteners left over, all bought cheaply by the pound) daily as I was doing the swap. Make a list and then be prepared to go several time despite the list.

It is all straight forward, but it will cost more than you expect of that I can guarantee.

Good luck with it, regards,

Lone

If you read that article note that you do NOT have to grind the fins off. The only cutting on th eT56 I'd advice doping is removing the "spikes" that are near the reverse switch.

Other than that I did some light hammering on th etunnel (more like prying) and up by the firewall. It was VERY light and this was a 240 not the wider 280. The real bugger was the JTR trans mount. It's too wide for the T56 and I had to have it sectioned. Pics of this stuff are on my site. The T56 really didn't pose a big problem IMO. icon_biggrin.gif