HybridZ

Revolution gauges for my 1971 240Z

I must admit that the idea of dropping several hundred dollars on gauges was not what I had in mind. I've got Autometer Sport-Comp gauges in my 71 Land Rover. They've held up well against harsh terrain and elements. I was looking to put some in my 240Z but I didn't like the limited selection of 2 5/8" gauges offered. I took a look at these Revolution gauges from Speedhut. The sticker price shocked me but the product was artwork. Everything is fully programmable! I finally bit the bullet and placed an order figuring the extra +$200 was acceptable. Speedhut service was good but I had to wait an extra week due to a shortage of black bezels.

I had two extra sets of stock gauges to play with so I started disassembly to see what I had to work with. Long story short, here's the final outcome. I'm posting photos of the finished pieces and then a couple of exploded parts. If you're wondering, I used internal clock rings (required 3 clocks) to mount the 2 5/8" gauges. They had to be die grinded ti fit the gauge bodies. These were nestled between the plastic bezel and metal back shell. I removed the clear lens, metal ring and rubber seal from the stock dual-gauge plastic bezel. A small amount of the inner lip is removed at the bottom to clear the new gauge bezel using a Dremel tool. These were cleaned up and paint flat black. The white ring is an adapter I made from 2" plumbing coupling on the lathe to hold the gauge snug to that ring. Speedhut sells a similar ring but I failed to order any so I fabbed some up real quick. The white adapter you see with the tach is a simple drain cap acquired at Lowes. It literally fit perfect within the metal back shell. I had only to open up a hole the install the gauge, cut it to length and make those notches to clear the screw holes in the back shell. The mounting ring of the gauge has raised ribs to aid tightening. They would not fit so I ground them off and cut slots for a flat blade screwdriver to snug them up tight. On the stock plastic housing I discarded the clear lens. The inner bezel was die grinded to remove a small lip and bevel the back edge. The speedo is similar but that white adapter is shorter because the back shell is too. When everything is assembled it is rock solid. I swear it looks like it was designed to fit from the factory. The fourth gauge (oil pressure) will be mounting on the steering column cover between the speedo/tach. I haven't come up with high beam, parking brake and turn signal lights yet but I'll come up with something cleaver and clean. The installation will be straight forward since all original mounting brackets are used without modification. Did I say straight forward? Not really, getting to the speedo/tach hardware is a royal pain. I think I'll pull the dash, do the install/wiring and start fitting in the Vintage Air Gen III system while I'm at it.

DSC05321 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05330 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05334 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05335 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05336 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05337 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05339 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05340 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

• 1 year later...

I have read through both your posts on your speedhut gauge install.

I am looking at buying these gauges for my 240z, I am located in Australia. I want a stock standard look for my 240z and I have an RB25DET installed.

I have noticed another install using smaller gauges with silver bezels on the forum.

A few questions I have:

Would the stealth gauge bezels fit a little better?

The white ring you made on the lathe, is the one from speedhut basically the same?

I have a dremel, is it the clock ring you had to grind for the gauge to fit?

Would you have any more photos you could send me if so andrew@hunter.gs is my email address.

I'm thinking I used 4" gauges for the tach/speedo. These and the smaller gauges are not a direct fit. You'll have to figure out how you want to mount them. My approach worked very well for me. The turn signal/high beam/brake lights are in a pod where the cigarette lighter sat in the dash.

Edited by ezzzzzzz

• 8 months later...

The white ring is an adapter I made from 2" plumbing coupling on the lathe to hold the gauge snug to that ring. Speedhut sells a similar ring but I failed to order any so I fabbed some up real quick. The white adapter you see with the tach is a simple drain cap acquired at Lowes. It literally fit perfect within the metal back shell. I had only to open up a hole the install the gauge, cut it to length and make those notches to clear the screw holes in the back shell.

Are you saying we would should to buy another of these in addition to the one that comes with the gauge for the 2 5/8" gauges?

http://www.speedhut...._NUMBER-718.htm

Edited by zack_280