HybridZ

original steering or rack and pinion for turbo build

islanddozer

I am rebuilding a 81 zx and putting in a turbo motor into a non turbo body. I have stripped it and wondering if I should stay with the original p/s box or go to rack and pinion. I have both so parts aren't a issue. Seems to me the turbo puts out lots of heat and the original box, even though it has heat shields, would take a beating. Curious of your opinion.

on stand 2_thumb.jpg

I have done the same thing with my ZX several years back. If you have all the parts to go manual then I suggest you use it and ditch the power steering system. Don't forget you will need the manual steering rack and the mating crossmember. The manual rack will not fit the crossmember for the power steering system. This would make the engine bay looks much cleaner and less cluttered. You need all the room you can get to run your IC pipings and the fan. Good luck

Go rack and pinion, the turbo barely clears the steering box, but the wastgate actuator bracket will need to be trimmed. If you have the parts and already got the motor, i'd say do it. Plus, that recirc/ball steering is heaving! I should have weighed all of it when I did it.

I want to thankyou for your suggestion to weigh the box. came up as 37lbs. I took a bad pic of it. I was going to redo the pic properly with the scale visable then I started thinking. Hey I have every bolt out of thing right now and I have 5 of everything, I decided to weigh everything going back in this thing, and have a pic with the weight. Already have a file for the l28et I built why not for the rest.

I am new here and blogging isn't my thing but I have extensive 280zx expierence and I would like to share and help others with their projects. Should I start a new thread here ? or just make a new thread for my project ?

Thanks !

steer box 37lbs_thumb.jpg