HybridZ

Ford T5 to Chevy engine?

Guest Luigi

So....has anyone hooked a ford T5 to a chevy engine? I can get the clutch disc built for little or no money. Figure I could handle the pilot bearing. I'm unsure about the length of the input shaft. I do know that the bellhousing has been discontinued from GM. Also, does anyone build or know of a good rebuilder for the T5?

thanks

Luigi

I believe that someone on this board from Denmark (?) did that. Parts there are very scarce. He ended up spending a lot of money on custom machining. I'm sure it was much more than a Chevy model T5 would cost here in the states. Others here know more about the differences of the two trannies than me. But from what I've gleaned reading posts it is not a worthwhile endeavor. I paid $750 for my T5 and if you keep your eyes open you can find them for much less than what I paid.

Guest Thurem

Yup, here I am.

Well if I ever get this car completed. I got a Ford Motorsports Superduty T5 (This is the one Summitracing has for 1100 bucks). Then I got a chevy T5 case from 5speeds.com for 45$. You can replace the input shaft with a chevy unit as well,IF the first gear ratio is 2.95 (ie. only the ford motorsports unit) I already bought a ford clutchdisc so I'm gonna have the inputshaft machined shorter. The ford cluthdisc is the same diameter as a chvy with a 153 tooth flywheel (10.4"). Jegs has a Pilotbearing as well. I also went ahead and got a billet steel countershaft bearingretainer as well, which is much nicer than the stock stamped steel unit. Email me if you have more Q's.

I'm from Denmark but I now live in Tucson, AZ. The weather is better and the taxes are way lower.

Dan are those Centerline Thrusters on your car? What do you think of them, what sizes and backspacing are they?

Thure

Wow Thurem, I can't believe my memory was so good. So is your car here in the US or Denmark? Can't imagine what shipping would cost.

Not Centerline. They won't make 10" or wider wheels in four bolt.

Billet Specialties

They are the GT15 style. 15x8 & 15x10, 4 3/4" backspacing. I have coilovers and they are too close. I will space them out another 1/8" to 1/4". If I was asked I'd say go 4 1/2" backspacing.

gt15.jpg

Here's a larger shot on the car.

04bdcp_2749.jpg