HybridZ

just got a 74 260z for free need vg30et swap info

• 2 weeks later...

I built one, it was kind of tricky making all of the plumbing fit around the V-block, especially with the turbo. I had a custom made stainless steel manifold for the turbo, by Stillen here in SoCal. Set me back about $700 for the manifold but got rid of all the god-awful heat-soak issues that engine had.

The mounts are pretty easy to modify, if you have a donor 300ZX I would pull the stock mounts out of that and just make plates to mount them to the K-bar. You're also going to want to reinforce the K-bar and rails, it also wouldn't hurt to fabricate an X-brace-style cross-member from the K-bar to the transmission tunnel area. The VG30 moves the wieght of the engine behind the K-bar instead of directly over it (like with the Lxx and RBxx motors). Also the drivetrain components you're most likely going to want out of the same car, the R200 and BW tranny drops in there pretty painlessly.

Although, the car I did this with was a '71 240. I'm not intimately familiar with the differences between a series 1 240 and the 260, as far as body/frame dimensions.

Also, with the kind of ridiculous power you can make with a VG30, even the SOHC, single turbo models you will need reinforcement, a decent amount in the rear and a lot in the front. Baddog rails would be a good place to start for that. A friend here in SD recommended them.

What are your goals for this project? I went all out with mine, water-injection(no intercooler), everything.

I have a vg30et swapped into my 78 280.

Look up some of my posts. I have pics posted throughout the site. You can PM me for details. There are a couple of others on the site working on theirs. I did mine back in 2000, so its been thoroughly tested.

Scott.