HybridZ

Ok...need advice on car

Guest Jimstein15

Guest Jimstein15

This is my first post. I currently have an 88zx turbo in pretty good shape. My Uncle has a 240z in not so good shape. I was thinking about trading mine for his and some cash to do a conversion. His car has a good rust free body, and it currently runs. I was just curious as to how much money it would cost to do an engine swap. Keep in mind that I don't know that much about cars to do the swap myself, but I'm hoping to get my friends to help me out. They also have the tools, and I think between them and this board, It could be possible, but for how much is the question? also, what else will I have to upgrade (suspension/brakes/etc...) and cost of all that. It

First, I'm not sure that's a fair trade. Older 240Zs can be had somewhat cheap if you look around, the ZX you've got may be worth more than the 240Z. You said his car wasn't in good shape - what's wrong with it exactly? Just drivetrain stuff? If it's running poorly perhaps he'd sell it cheap?

Cost of a swap - that's a really tough call! My swap has NOT been done low dollar so I'm not the best one to talk to. However some areas to consider upgrading is a somewhat easy one icon_smile.gif

Suspension. MAybe not swapping in coil overs and crazy things liek I've done icon_rolleyes.gif but a good set of busings never hurt anyone and aren't super expensive. Expect to spend some time doing it though!

Brakes. This puppy will COOK when you're done, even with a mild V8. there are upgrades form mild to wild - I went for wild with 12+inch brakes in front, 11inch brakes in rear - billet calipers. Mild(er) would be to upgrade to Toyota 4runner calipers up front an dvented rotors. Milder still would be to use stock rotors and a different 4Runner caliper. To do this cheap I'd leave the rears drum but upgrade the linings, use braided hoses on all 4 corners, and make sure the rear stuff is in good shape at least.

Drivetrain A). If it's a 240Z it'll need a different rear diff. A fairly easy swap to do but diffs for the rear are pricey if you want limted slip. An open R200 rear is easy to find in bunches of ratios. Oddly enough - your 88 Turbo has the limited slip R200 that we all desire for our cars icon_smile.gif

Drivetrain B). Motor and trans. You can go nuts here but if you do the chassis will need a rollbar to hold it together or at least subframe connectors. You said this car was "rust free" - better check under the batter box and look at the framerails closely before you say that. Anyway, GM sells mild crate motors cheap that make over 200HP that would work fine but I'm unsure as to cost. My motor isn't super wild but it was over $4k icon_rolleyes.gif Things like a carburator, distributor, alternator, water pump, and on and on can eat you alive! Hint: get a long water pumnp not a short one (sigh). It's also possible to buy a motortrans from a wrecking yard. Consider this to do this "cheap" but you may get exactly what you pay for. Others can weigh in on this one better than I.

Transmission - you want a stick with that? GM 6speeds can be as low as $1K or as high as $2K, shop around. Clutches aren't cheap either! T5 5 speeds are more reasonable both for clutches and the transmissions - just don't beat it to death. Automatics - I don't know these well but get an overdrive trans like a 200R4 or a 700R4.

Last but not least - before buying ANYTHING or starting to turn a single wrench there's a book you shouldMUST buy. It's by a company named JagsThatRun and they can be found at www.jagsthatrun.com It's not super expensive and not a "step by step" but you WILL need it and it WILL give you a VERY good idea as to what's involved. I'm NOT a super mechanical wiz with tools and I've done this swap working by myself 99.9% of the time - you can do this. It will take time and money though so don't kid yourself. More of one elimiates some of the other BTW icon_smile.gif IMO I'd expect to spend at least $4K over the cost of the car, possibly more. Little stuff just eats you alive and if I listed it all here I'd cry at the total. (shrug)

P.S. Welcome to the board! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I think Jim pretty much nailed it IMHO. I started my project as going the cheap route and before I knew it I'd spent lots and its not done. I went with the cheap chevy crate motor Jim is talking about. Its rated at 250 hp from the factory (which I don't know how accurate that is or how big they're horses are.. icon_smile.gif ) I figured with my highrise and headers maybe pickup 10-15 hp maybe. Its a 4 bolt main 350 with cast pistons and crank. Its fairly strong and Car craft with a head and cam change has ran tons of engine dyno runs on the motor to like 400 some odd hp.

Price is cheap at (Scoggins Dickey) $1295.99 (I think locally I paid maybe 100.00 more but saved the shipping since I picked it up)for a complete NEW long block. You need to add, intake, carb, distributor, waterpump and a few other sundry things to this equation, but thats true of many of the 'crate' motors.

I'm sure there are a number of other engine options nearly or as cheap, this is just one.

Trannys...

T56 = bucks by the time you add all the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

T5 = much cheaper, and probably with this 350 strong enough if you don't hammer on it, but some people hammer it to death and it survives, go figure...

4spds = cheaper still, very strong, to much RPM on the freeway for most people.

Automatic = 700 or 200r/4 would work well, I've seen rebuilt 700's with a converter for like 1200 bucks (maybe available even cheaper I donno), the automatic might be easier to install just because of the no linkage for the clutch, you do have cooler lines to run with a auto as well linkage for your shifter.

Thats a brief outline for just the larger components, the other stuff to do the install does indeed start chipping away at your budget, so befriend a dismantler and you may be able to save a little coin on some items. As Jim said, get the JTR manual, it totally helps to give you a good overview of whats going to happen in the swap.

Good luck with the project,

Lone

Guest Jimstein15

Thanks for your help...sounds like a lot of money and time the JTR book has already been ordered icon_smile.gif we'll see what happens (prob when time/money allows it)

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Jim,

Glad you found us here.

We will always help out any way we can.

Check out my web page. I just finished my conversion and have a cost list that I kept along the way. It's not the cheepest way to do it, but it will give you a modest idea if you buy everything mostly new. Also it has part numbers.

I went with the auto trans 700R4 and love it.

No shifting!!! But thats because I get stuck in Los Angeles trafic all the time.

Good luck.

Dave

Hey Jim. I'm sure you'll find this site to be very helpful. Everyone is realy nice and more than willing to help a newbie like myself. I can't beleive that this site already has over 900 members. I forget what number I was (mid 800's), but i only joined about a month ago. Kudos to the site, it must be a needed resource. Anyway, keep an eye out for my posts. I'll probably be asking lots of questions that will help the both of us get started.