HybridZ

Electric Fuel Pumps for Carbs

A. G. Olphart

Short Version: The ugly Carter pumps which hang off a six hole bracket are great pumps.

The Problem: Put a nice quiet georotor pump in my wife's 72 Chrysler wagon (440 engine), and it died in less than two years. That got me thinking about the application, and why a relatively pricey pump would go away so quickly. I decided the seal between the pump and the motor (common to almost all motor style electric pumps) probably failed because the tank is vertical --along one rear quarter panel-- and thus gravity put fuel pressure on the seal at all times.

The solution: According to my current Summit catalog,pg. 28, the heavy-duty Carter pumps are "wet motor" pumps, with no seal to fail.

I spoke with an old parts man locally (after going to a Carter) and he's had one of these pumps on his pickup since 1986. That's durable enough for me.:)

Small caveats: A return style regulator would be adviseable for the 4601HP model to minimize the load on the pump motor.

If you have a rough riding rig, like my old Toyota pickup, I'd recommend duct taping the friction held electrical connections in place (a connector fell off after several years).

Like all vane fuel pumps, they are fairly noisy. I'd use rubber stand offs on a civilized car.

<>