HybridZ

Stock 2JZ-GTE crank/cam sensors just hall effect?

ShaggyZ

Nobody in the Supra realm would probably know. I'm not sure what the big deal with using the stock crank angle sensor would be for MegaSquirt, but I don't know what type of signal they'd be sending out.

Typically, a hall effect sensor has three connections (12+, ground, and signal, I believe), but the plugs for the Toyota sensors only have two connections. I've considered that the sensors could be grounded through their mounting. I know I could take them off and test them like I did for the hall effect sensors for my motorcycle, but I'd rather not ruin them if I mess up. Also, just because I might get a signal from the Toyota sensor, doesn't mean I'm getting the right signal, necessarily.

I'm fully aware I could just go with EDIS, but 1.) I intend to use LS2/truck coils, 2.) I don't want to bolt a big ugly 36-1 wheel on the front of the 2JZ and using what's already there is ideal.

I appreciate any direction.

I'm not certain, but it looks like they're probably all VR sensors. Really, there's not much else they can be. Apparently, Megasquirt has no problem with VR sensors. However, I've learned that VR sensors and hall effect sensors still get triggered off some type of metal or magnetic wheel (I just magnets on my motorcycle to strengthen the magnetic field as there is a lot of other metal nearby); I'll have to pull off the crank pulley to confirm this. If there is a common wheel (eg 36-1), then I will likely replace the VR sensor with a generic hall effect sensor so I don't have to worry about translating the VR signal.

Who knows... I may end up mounting a trigger wheel on the flywheel.

I'm now working with the stock sensors with a Haltech ECU.

The crank sensor on the GTE motor is a 12 tooth wheel with none missing.

The rear cam sensor gives a pulse just prior to # 1 firing position but after the previous (last) cylinder to fire.

Haltech reps say to trigger on the falling edge of both sensors.

Good to have that information early on to help further my planning in the no-money-to-spend stage. I really appreciate it, Speeder.

I'm now working with the stock sensors with a Haltech ECU.

The crank sensor on the GTE motor is a 12 tooth wheel with none missing.

The rear cam sensor gives a pulse just prior to # 1 firing position but after the previous (last) cylinder to fire.

Haltech reps say to trigger on the falling edge of both sensors.