HybridZ

SR Ignition

AkumaNoZeta

Ok, I cant seem to find this anywhere. What kind of ignition systems are on the various SR20DETs? I thought they were all coil-on-plug but I've seen some photos of ones that seem to have a distributor or a waste-spark like coil packs mounted on the firewall or something. Its been a while since seeing the pictures so I cant remember for sure.

Well, waste-spark is still distributorless. I just remember seeing pictures of some SR swaps where there seemed to be coil packs mounted on the firewall and then spark plug wires going from there to the spark plugs, its been a while since I saw the picture. Maybe they just took the coils off the plug and decided to run wires or something, I don't know.

Hmm... Interesting, I'm guessing he did that because of the aftermarket engine management system? I dont know, mines all stock and running on the stock computer... I think all the ones you're going to find are going to have coil on plug unless they've been modified to run without it.

-Chris

Ok, I'm gonna add a change in topic here so mods feel free to change the title. In an average SR20 swap in a S30, does the shifter come through the Z's shifter hole (don't know exactly what to call it) perfectly? For the suspension I wanna do, I'm starting to think that I'll need to move the engine back a few more inches and wondering if the shifter will still be going through the hole or if I'll have to cut it out more.

Ok, I'm gonna add a change in topic here so mods feel free to change the title. In an average SR20 swap in a S30, does the shifter come through the Z's shifter hole (don't know exactly what to call it) perfectly? For the suspension I wanna do, I'm starting to think that I'll need to move the engine back a few more inches and wondering if the shifter will still be going through the hole or if I'll have to cut it out more.

I just installed mine and yes it came through pretty much centered. If you move it back then the exhaust might be a problem, mine was. Top mount turbo might give more room, i'm guessing.

IMG_0140.jpg

The exhaust wouldn't be a problem for me because whenever I get to the swap, who knows when that will be lol, I just want it to come straight out the fender so I can have the room to make a completely flat underbelly. Lately I've had a thought though. I was gonna make a custom intake and exhaust manifold whenever I build it and have the whole thing completely rebuilt before putting it in, so pretty much I would be paying the $2500 just for a block, crank, and head. Not to mention have a whole pile of parts to have to find a buyer for or just use as desk ornaments. So I was beginning to think of just getting a KA instead since its cheaper, the extra torque would satisfy me more, and have less excess parts left over after the build. But looking at stats I saw that the the KA is over-sqaured which means it wont rev as quick, but that doesn't mean I can't make it rev as high (with proper head mods) right? I could still make 9000RPMs, but it would just reach it a little slower...right? I'm an American so the more displacement and higher torque makes me want it....How much lighter is a SR20DET compared to a KA24DET? Are all KA24DEs the same? I know the SRs from the Sentras wont bolt up to the 180SXs transmission so is it a similar case with the KAs? One more thing, mods feel free to retitle this thread...I always tend to change the subject of my posts :P

No, all Ka's are not the same. The KA and SR20DET bellhousings are different. You can use a KA transmission on a SR20det with the SR's bellhousing but it is a lot weaker transmission. Don't wast your money on KA24de they don't hold up to boost very well. I have seen countless ka's blow up even without turbo's on them. They are not designed to rev and make power. The sr20det is lighter than the ka and it is built to handle the power and revs soo much better.

My SR had a broken tailshaft housing so I changed it to a KA housing. It worked fine. The output shaft on the KA was approximately 1/16 in. smaller at one point, than the SR version. I could see no readily visible differences than that, at first look. That said, I have had 2 bad KA trans in the last couple of years on cars I swapped to SR's. They both had metal chunks in them. Haven't seen a bad SR one yet. Have seen worn syncros on second though.

I had to completely rethink my car plans again...I keep on adding things that cross over from daily driver to race car. I'm gonna keep the SR plan going, and change my plans from a Corvette styled leaf spring suspension to a double wishbone so I don't have to set the engine back further no more and still have the camber gain. And I don't need to go so far into the aerodynamics, just keeping with the basic air-dam and ducting...I should make a race car one day, lol