HybridZ

Any Mazda Techs out there ???

jasper

Hey, My neighbor's daughter has a 2005 Mazda 3. The check engine light is on. I pulled codes p2004 & p2009....Tumble control issues . My Snap on scanner doesn't give me a whole lot more info. Any one know a thing or 2 about these????...Thanks....Tommy

A quick search on google showed those codes to be related to the intake manifold runner control.

I found this on http://www.ford-trucks.com:

"The

Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) is a system which uses dual intake runners to supply air to each cylinder. The secondary runners are normally closed, but the PCM opens them under high rpm conditions when the driver is demanding additional power from the engine. The IMRC system can be actuated using a single electric motor or dual vacuum motors. The IMRC system is functionally checked by monitoring the runner control plates using switches. If the actual position of the runner control plates does not match the commanded position, a malfunction of the IMRC system is indicated."

and this:

"Within each of the intake manifold's four runners is a butterfly valve that restricts the air passage at low speeds. This improves low-speed efficiency through inducing a "tumble" or turbulence by accelerating the air/fuel mixture into the combustion chambers. At higher speeds, the butterfly valves open fully to meet the engine's requirement for airflow. At these higher flow rates, the port shape itself ensures proper "tumble" of the air/fuel mixture for best combustion and improved power"

Found this at www.justanswer.com:

"Locate the IMRC solenoid, mounted at the top front of the intake manifold (It should be the vacuum solenoid that is the closest to the throttle body of the 2 solenoids in that area). Verify manifold vacuum to the solenoid whenever the engine is running. Verify battery voltage to the Green/Orange wire at the solenoid whenever the key is on.

Locate the IMRC actuator below the throttle body. Check the vacuum line that runs from the IMRC solenoid to the actuator for leaks or restrictions. Verify that the IMRC actuator holds vacuum, and pulls the actuator rod in as vacuum is applied. Verify 5 volt reference voltage to the Black/Blue wire at the IMRC monitor (which is part of the actuator) with the key on, and ground on the Green/Blue wire. If OK, monitor the White/Red wire with the key on and the actuator electrical connector plugged in. The White/Red wire should have 5 volts when there is no vacuum to the actuator, and should drop to less than 0.2 volts when vacuum is applied and the actuator pulls in.

If all OK, start the engine, and check to see if the PCM grounds the Black/Red wire at the IMRC vacuum solenoid when the engine is idling. Verify that when the Black/Red wire is grounded, the IMRC solenoid supplies vacuum to the IMRC actuator, the IMRC monitor voltage on the White/Red wire drops to less than 0.2 volts, and the actuator rod pulls in. Then unplug the electrical connector from the IMRC solenoid, and verify that the vacuum to the actuator releases, the voltage on the White/Red wire goes back up to 5 volts, and the actuator rod extends back out."