HybridZ

v-8 cam profile

Guest nosz350

Guest nosz350

my engine builder wanted to know so of the cam profile that is being used.all i need to know is like dur@50int/exh, gross lift int/exh and is it hyd or soild.

Are you asking for opinions? The cam is THE ATTITUDE of the engine so your expectations for power/idle/mannerisms/rpm range/ is it gonna be blown etc would be needed for guesstimates. That's good he asked.....if any builder doesn't ask and just says he can easily build it fine without that info (or any idea) just run.......it's part of the package.

Guest nosz350

my engine is not going to be blown,just sprayed with NOS.i was just trying to find something that has worked for somebody,as fair as idle goes,itgoing to be a weekend racer.my engine builder said my engine could live all day long around 76-7800 so i guess i want my rpm band to be around 3200-6500 that is so i know the NOS will make it spin up more rpm.

Guest Anonymous

I think really the Cam manufacturers are the place to start looking, they have as much information as your going to find since they produce them. They've all pretty much gone to great lengths to describe the application of each cam and its lift and specs.

For example, just a quick browse at www.compcams.com displayed a cam that might be what your looking for if your talking hydraulic roller (XR300HR) which has a powerband of 3200 to 6200 and is considered a bracket racing cam with 10-1+ compression. Or for hydraulic flat tappet the XE284H which has a powerband of 2300 to 6500 (or the XE294H which is 2800 to 7000 RPM's). These are just a few from one manufacturer. Obviously these are going to be fairly radical cams if its going to see any street duty at all, but if your building for those RPM ranges then thats what its going to take.

I'd try several of the vendors sites and write down specific application and part numbers and discuss it with your builder on what would be the best for what he's building. Good luck with the project.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Night_rider_383

I'm not an NOS kinda guy but it would seem like a dual patt. profile with 5-10 deg. more on the exhaust with .015''- .025'' lift on the exhaust would help max the power. I would try to give you my thoughts on a cam but i don't have the engine combo info. Being you said upper rpm range weekend racer. My self i would look at a roller cam around 290 to 310 avd. with at least 240 to 260 at .050'' lift with as much lift as i could find