HybridZ

question for a friend (86 TA)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys just thought i'd pop in with a quick question from a friend of mine. ready? okay here goes.

The friend in question is the proud new owner of a 86 smokey and the bandit addition trans am. this TA has a blown motor. so we are going to drop in a 350 he has in his garage. that's not the big thing though just some background info on it. the question is after we get the 350 in it he wants to start on THE motor he wants to really run in it.

He wants to have close to 600HP icon_eek.gif at the flywheel. now tell me if i'm wrong but I don't think he is going to get 600 out of a 350 (he seems to be under the impression that it is possible) I'm sure that you can get that much out of a 350 but not if you want to keep it streetable. the only way that i can see on how to keep it streetable would be to go forced induction. but he is leary of a blower and doesn't really wan't to run one.

The meat of the question is: would he be better going with a big block on trying to meet his power goals. I think that 600 shouldn't be too hard for a worked over 454 to hit. oh yah, just for clarifacation this is going to be a "weekend warrior" car and not a daily driver, if that helps you guys out.

With a blower it wouldn't be that big a deal. Say 10-12lbs of boost and a good EFI setup. Why is leary of a blower?!

If he wants to do this N/A he'll be needing to stroke that sucker and maybe look to a 400 based SBC. Sure it could be done with 350cubes but it would be pretty nasty to drive on the street IMO. Why not build a decent 350 and slap NOS on it for that matter?

Why the big attraction to that number BTW - what does that equate out to in the 1/4? Or is that simply a mine's bigger than your's sort of number he's picked? icon_confused.gif