HybridZ

U joints available?

Guest MistressMotorsports

A while ago I broke an outer rear axle U joint on my car (R180) Is there somewhere I can get replacements, and how hard is it to replace the joint? The rest of the axle looks fine, so I would like to reuse it if possible.

Mike

Guest 240hybrid

You could go to autozone or advance auto....etc. , but motorsport auto has Spicer brand heavy duty u-joints for $32.95 a piece. Prob. good idea unless your going to stronger CV axles. Removing the u-joints can be done yourself. Most people will say press them out nono.gif . My manuals and I say that you can beat them out yourself and save the $ for the U-joints. This can be done with a ballpin hammer, and a vice or a unwanted large socket, by placing the side of the yoke over a vice opened enough to allow the u-joint bearing cap to fall out in between the vice clamps or into the large socket below. When beating(great stress relief) fmad.gif these out use a large drive set or another unwanted socket to direct force to the joint cap itself, making sure you dont nail the yoke or your fingers and damaging either. You'll have to drive the u-joint back through the yoke after getting one bearing cap off to get the opposite one off cause theres not enough clearance to remove the Joint yet. Once both bearing caps are off the joint should come out with not problem. repeat this about 6 times and presto, No U-joint in your halfshafts. Its a great idea to have someone hold the halfshaft while you hammer the caps. I've removed all the u-joints in about an hour in both halfshafts with no damage to the yokes if done correctly and delicately, proving that it can be done. Good luck.

The strength of the halfshaft U-joints have been discussed previously, and I think the Spicer ones lost out to the Neapco Brute Force, cause the Spicers are of a hollow type with a grease nipple. Brute force U-joints are solid with no grease nipple.

The part number for Brute Force U-joints is : 1-0029BF The retail price on the Checkers website is 14.29. Just helped a friend install ujoints in my buddys Z, is fairly cake, a big vise really works well as a press.

Thure

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably stop breaking these once I ditch the locker that is in the car (came with it, not my decision.) If any of you drag racers want a 4:11 locker, let me know, I'll start saving for a Quaiffe.

Mike