HybridZ

clutch fork help

Guest TAlchemist

Guest TAlchemist

ok i think i got a clutch problem, or else i am not sure how the clutch even works.

first off i have a 78 280z /w 5speed manual. i am having trouble getting the clutch to work. The clutch fork< lever > moves in either direction but also stays in either direction. ie if i move it forward < as if the clutch is depressed > it stays there. But if i move it back < as is the clutch is pressed > it stays there.

am i missing something? is there a spring i need to replace or is it suposed to do that until it is moving? ie does it go forward with movement and you must muscle it backward < with the slave cylinder > to disengage the clutch?

The trans is original with no work done other than to clean the exterior and the inside of the bellhousing. The master may leak but when the slave isnt connected to anything it moves with the pedal...but doesnt go back in. the slave cylinder was bad and replaced.

please help or tell me i am an idiot....something smile.gif

please help or tell me i am an idiot
AAAHHRRRG OK I wont say nuthin.

The clutch fork presses against the throwoutbearing, which then presses against fingers on clutch pressure plate.

I think what you are looking at is just the freeplay in the clutchfork.

Thure

Take a drink every time the word "pres" is used.

Guest TAlchemist

is the spring inside the bellhousing? cause according to the haynes manual only the 240 model has an external return spring....if it fixes it i will find a way to add one.

Guest Anonymous

Should be a tiny hole in the clutch fork to attach the spring end.My 78 sevice manual does not show a spring but I have seen return springs on some of them. Try a spring to see if it works.. The clutch fork is spring steel and cannot be easily drilled with 1/8 inch or larger drill bits unless removed and placed in a drill press. The service manual PROBLEM: "clutch is engaged before clutch pedal is fully depressed...= oil or grease in clutch facing...= clutch facing worn or loose rivets....= wear or rust on splines in drive shaft and clutch disc ....= warped flywheel or pressure plate.....others the clutch spiines may not have been alignned correctly to the crank. Normally it takes great effort for the slave cylinder to disengage the clutch from the fly wheel but little effort for the presure plate springs to return the clutch firmly to the flywheel when the clutch pedal is released or disengaged