HybridZ

tranny swap

Guest livewire23

Guest livewire23

I'm thinking about changing from an auto to a manual, but chilton says "In general transaxles are not interchangeable between model families. transaxles are selected by the manufacturer to fit the engine performance characteristics of the car with consideration to other variables such as an area of sale, emission class, vehicle loading, brakes, etc... stick to the same transaxle group" what does this really mean? Im putting in a transaxle from a different model year. Then engines differ slightly, about .2l of displacement, 20hp/30lb-ft of torque. The transaxles seem almost identical in every manner, I think it should work fine, is there anything I should be aware of before I go out and pick up this tranny for $60?

Guest Anonymous

Live..I am assumimg you are talking about buying a $60.00 transmission for an early Z not a transaxle that is a one piece combination unit of a transmission and differential found in front wheel drive cars or rear drve old VW bugs. Read this and become an expert on swapping transmisions in old Z cars web page

Guest livewire23

no, i actually do mean transaxle, the people on this board know more about cars that anywhere else I've seen, so Im asking here, but its for a fwd. also i have a more relevent question. Anyone advise against me picking up a 280 chassis/body aat the junkyard? its rust free, and mostly in good shape. I'm gonna drop the 350 in it so the missing motor is no problem.

For a 92 Honda Prelude, IMHO, it's not worth the time and effort to switch your car from Auto to Manual. It's more cost effective to sell it and find a manual transmission model instead.

You may only spend 60 bucks for the tranny but what about clutch, Flywheel, Installing the pedal assembly, changing out shifter linkages, etc, etc. Then you may need a different EEC for a manual tranny car. It's a big can-o-worms.

Guest livewire23

maybe you're right, although from what I've found the cost difference between the manuals and autos is rather significant. the manuals are just much more rare. I'll do some more looking around, although I think I love my car too much to sell it.