HybridZ

T5 JTR mount angle??

DavyZ

Guys this is an answer I gave someone that emailed me regarding the angle you have to deal with while installing a WC T5 using the JTR method. He was thinking about modifying the rubber, but that is unnecessary and should be avoided. The stupid thing is that I saw this in one of my many JTR books, but I cannot locate it and I have no time this morning. Anyone else that wants to add to this, by all means please do. The only question JTR did not answer was the exact angle to bend the 'ears' of the mount--I did it 7 years ago and the answer is 'slightly.' Here is my reply:

No, don't touch the rubber mount. I could not find the section in the JTR manual (most recent), but I have seen it in older issues---the mount 'ears' (attachment points that the bolts go through) need to be bent. That's right, bent.

The side goes up and the other side goes down just a little for both. This gives you an almost perfect angle for the crossmember. Any differences can be made up with washers!!!!!!!!!!! The whole idea of doing this is not whacked as it first appears, and the JTR book says there are no ill effects from doing this modification.

I cannot give the exact amount of bending required for the 'ears' but you have to try to figure out the angle needed under the car and then put it in a big vice and bend away. Key is to bend both sides (one side one way, one the other) Again, use washers to make up the difference.

I just flipped through a few of my JTR books, but I cannot find the correct description anywhere--I'm out of time and need to leave. I bent my mount 7-10 years ago when I purchsed it, so I was not smoking crack and just made all this stuff up. Purchasing a Corvette bellhousing is too expensive and is unnecessary. Just modify the metal ears/tabs of the mount, not the rubber.

Davy