HybridZ

87 turbo lsd qusetion

Guest zwhore

ok, for you guys running the lsd from a 87-89 300 turbo, what axles did you use?

the 300 turbo ones?

i know they are different lenghts on both sides(as they should be) but do they have a different flange to bolt up to the stub shaft.

is this correct?

if so, you shold be able able to use a 90 n/a diff with 87 turbo axles in a 77 with a 280 trubo cv set up, correct?

thanks

and sorry for the confusing post

tony

I'm using the 1978 280Z half shafts with u-joints.

So far they are holding up! By the way I put all new Brute Force u-joints in. Better safe than sorry. 355 sbc/700r4 with 87 lsd 3.70 combo. No breaky breaky yet!

Mike

Originally posted by S30Z Bushido:

so will the '87 3.70 lsd bolt directly into a 280z if you decide not to switch to cv's and stay with u-joints?

Essentially...you'll have the parts to do so supposing you had an R200 to begin with. The pinion flange and the rear cover must be swapped, but 280Z axles will pop in. To swap the flanges you need to put a good amount of torque on the nut, you'll need a big torque wrench.

but, the 87 turbo axles are 2 different lengths(the part that goes in to the diff)the 280 axles are the same length. so if you use 280 axles, you run the risk of breaking an axle or the diff(even if it works at all)

Guest 240hybrid

I had to pay extra $50.00 for the 2 CV axles, but I figured thats a good price. I thought, why not use what comes with the LSD. It was either the ones that come with it or 280zxt CV's.

so, to preform this swap on my 76 280z i would need:

-Z31 turbo 3.70 diff

-Z31 turbo halfshafts

-Ross C's adaptor

is that correct? :confused:

First off, as noted above, all R200's in Z's from 70's to 89 can accept the same R200 halfshafts inputs, CV or otherwise (except the rare viscous LSD/87-89 ivory white SE model).

My typical CV adaptor uses 280ZXT axles. One customer wanted to use Z31 NA CV axles so I devised a CV adaptor for him to use....Chase is just planning to complete his install this weekend at which time he'll drop me feedback on how it went and how it drives.....I don't expect any issues but being a !#$! engineer we hold out till all is well proven before making it available broadband. I have a couple spare sets for Z31NA CV's here for early buyers.

I know their are different PN's for various 84-89 CV axles, I have NA Z31 CV dimensions and would love to get some Z31 turbo CV dimensions for comparison........anyone??

On another note, Mark's R230 companion flange to R230 CV flange adaptor is enroute for me to check out and most likely replicate for use by others. It'll most likely be made for same length shafts as Mark has in use at present.

So a few options.....I'd suggest using 280ZXT or NAZ31 CV axles unless you can send me some measurements (pics as well!) of Z31T axles for potential use.

Originally posted by zfan:

I'm using the 1978 280Z half shafts with u-joints.

So far they are holding up! By the way I put all new Brute Force u-joints in. Better safe than sorry. 355 sbc/700r4 with 87 lsd 3.70 combo. No breaky breaky yet!

Mike

so will the '87 3.70 lsd bolt directly into a 280z if you decide not to switch to cv's and stay with u-joints?

Guest 240hybrid

Im using the CVs that came with the diff., I just got my adapters from Ross C. Got the LSD unit in last night and will be installing CVs and Stubs/New Adapters this weekend. I'll let you guys know if I have any problems with them either sat. or sun.

Chase

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah Im getting ready to go out there and slam pull the stock stubs out in a bit here. Hopefully the neighbors wont raise hell while I do. heh. :D Oh yeah, Ross...I was readin my 300zx manual and it said that the CV with 4 bolt holes(doubleoffset) IS for the TURBO model and that the CV flange with 6 bolts(Tripod type)is for the N/A models. Is this correct or is my manual full of it. Those CVs that I got came with my turbo model LSD. Do think that the CVs in the car I pulled the LSD off of were swapped sometime?? And this is how I ended up with N/A CV's? Although my rebuild manual says that these came with the turbo model 300zx.

thanks Chase

Chase, interesting info....seems to jive with another oddity I came across elswhere......I don't have Z31 manuals or any parts cars to check out so to date the adaptors were made for specific customers and a set of axles supplied by one with his typically very technical/accurate info that they were from NA's. May be CD and US models differ slightly I don't know....but so far it's 4 bolts:) I wonder if the 6bolts are very similar to 280ZXT CV's?? (if not the same?!?!?!)

Guest 240hybrid

I dont know anymore.....all I know is thats the CVs I have and what my adapters are made for. Now that I got the stub axles pulled I went to get new studs for the stubs while I have them pulled, and no one has the damn things. I drove to almost 5-6 different parts stores for 3 hrs and got 2 of the 8 I need :mad: . Looks like I'll have to get the studs from MSA, and wait another week to install the damn stub axles. What a crock. I have one more store to try tomorrow still though, maybe I'll have some luck there.

Chase