HybridZ

Wiring a SBC RamJet350 to my 76 280? Help!!

I am in the process of trying 2 wire a chevy ramjet 350 crate engine 2 my 76 280Z. The chevy came with a full harness. The harness is completely hooked up 2 the engine, but trying 2 figure out how 2 hook up 2 existing Z harness. Does anyone out there know of a schematic that someone has made for such a swap? Probably a stupid question, but what the hell!

Any & All help would be extremely appreciated!

Steve

Here's a link to your electrical wiring diagrams! I Can't answer your question directly as I don't have the diagrams to the ramjet350 wiring harness. But assuming things, most of those systems only require a 3 wire hookup. One Main power lead, one ignition lead and one ground. Oh and maybe one to the fuel pump. Good luck! http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electrical.htm

Hey FastZ,

Thanks 4 the link. I just downloaded a diagram last week, but my main concern is trying 2 figure out which wiring I can get rid of. I already removed the Z brain and injector wiring, but I don't want any other unused hot wires etc. to cause a fire or something. I guess we'll just have 2 trace everything 2 be sure.

Thanks again, Steve

I am in the process of trying 2 wire a chevy ramjet 350 crate engine 2 my 76 280Z. The chevy came with a full harness. The harness is completely hooked up 2 the engine, but trying 2 figure out how 2 hook up 2 existing Z harness. Does anyone out there know of a schematic that someone has made for such a swap? Probably a stupid question, but what the hell!

Any & All help would be extremely appreciated!

Steve

Zcarlover: Apparently you have already installed the Ram Jet 350. I would like to install the Ram Jet Manifold also but am VERY curious as to clearance from the top of the manifold to the hood. Would you please comment on same. Thanks.

Hey rsicard,

The engine & trans are installed. After engine was bolted in, but before trans was bolted up to crossmember, we set the hood on. We could get about 3 fingers between the intake plenum & the hood. The trans was sitting on a jack before bolting to crossmember. After hookup I would say it went up an inch or two. But we have not set the hood back on. We are probably going to do that Saturday. I'll let you know then!

The Japanese were thinking of this swap when they put that nice hump in the hood :-)

Zcarlover

Zcarlover: That hump in the hood helps. I just wonder if it is enough of a hump. Looking forward to your refitting the hood and knowing the results. Got a chuckle out of the statement "Japanese were thinking of this swap when they put that nice hump in the hood". I am looking forward to installing the SBC and transmission. First the old 6 cylinder and transmission will have to come out. Then beef up the subframe, cleanup and paint the engine compartment, then install the V8 and Trans.

Hey rsicard & strotter,

I'll definitely let you know the results of hood clearance after Sat.

And strotter: Good info on the strut bar. I had one for the 6, but haven't looked into one for the chevy. I'll look around. I have even thought of having my welding buddy customize my old one to fit. We'll see!

Zcarlover

The hood still clears the top of the intake plenum on the RamJet 350, which is great because I don't want a modified hood. I like it stock looking. I can't tell you the exact measurement, but it does fit without modification.

Good deal on the hood clearance. Now I can go ahead with the RamJet manifold.