HybridZ

speedo cable question (pt. 2)

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so i've FINALLY figured out what part i need. apparently there's a pinion something or other that goes between the cable and the tranny. it will be in tomorrow at the shop.

how do i go about getting the cable off completely (getting under the car, not bending it, blah blah blah)?

what should i clean the inside of the cable with to get rid of the leaking trans fluid?

can i use the same graphite lube stuff for the cable as i did with the ignition switch?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest De Schmaydee

....not sure what car or tranny you have...on my 82zxt ...the speedo pinion assy is held in the tranny by 1 bolt/screw.......there's a collar on it that holds the speedo cable assy......if you have fluid leaking...i think the speedo (tranny) assy has an o-ring on it that might need to be replaced.....

.....once the assy is out...there is a roller-pin that needs to be driven/pushed out to release the speedo pinion........these pinions are usually color coded for how many teeth they have on 'em (they should be the same color or your speedo will be off).

...to lube the speedo cable i used bearing grease.....the cable would pull out on mine.....i would cram grease down in the cable housing and grease the cable too...then run it in a couple of feet ...pull it out and repeat until it was all the way in.....

...on my zx there are 2 sections of speedo cable w/the coupling being inside the car on the firewall above the clutch pedal ....the short cable that goes to the speedo its self should be lubed too and you need to make sure all the cables slide (fit) together when you reassemble 'em......s