HybridZ

One more clarification for the R200 swap

NCZZZ

Swapping R200 into 71' 240Z. I have the R200 Mustache bar and I know the it goes behind the hangers. I have seen several posts that differ as to whether or not the curve of the bar goes towards the front or rear of the car. I assume it would need to go towards the rear, otherwise you would not need the the curved aft crossmember. Please clarify.

The second consideration is that I will be using CV axles in the set up using MM adapters with 280Z Flanges. I have also seen a post where it is suggested that when running this set up it might be advisable to move the differential forward to prevent binding issues. Has this ever been proven out? In which case the curve of the bar should go towards the front of the car?

I realize this is a worn out topic, I cannot find the answer in any post. My diff is out for rebuild and won't be back for 2 weeks. I can't play with it to find out for sure and I would like to go ahead and have the mounts in place.

In searching through the postings, it seems the first place most people will send you is here:

http://www2.zhome.com:81/ZCMnL/tech/R200.htm

The first diagram/picture are for a 240 with the R180. If you scroll down to the third diagram, it shows the curved 280Z transverse link mount with R200. If you follow the mustache bar, it show that it curves towards the front.

Noone out there can clarify this?

On my 73 240Z, with a R200 installed with a R200 mustache bar of unknown year, the main horizontal part of the bar is to the rear of the two big mounting bolts which protrude down from the unibody.

Does this answer your question? I can get some pics if you need them.

John

nczzz. you should post pics of your swap showing mustache bar, control arm hangers, and diff strap brackets, etc. after you complete this. im doing the same swap in a 70. seems theres not a lot of r200/early z specific info out there. or maybe weve both just missed it. good luck.

datjunky