HybridZ

fuse block

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well i have the wiring done on my car but i still have the glass fuses. i would like to change the fuse block out to the flat plastic fuses. i was thinking of using the painless fuse block but i was wondering if anyone has used anything different like from another car and how difficult was it? any advice would be nice. i still want to keep the wiring for now though.

Guest John Adkins

One of the first things I did when I got my

z was to replace the fuse block. I went down

to PepBoys and got three of their black plastic modular fuse boxes. These hold 4 ATC (flat blade type) fuses each and have built-in slots in the sides that allow them

to be attached together to form 1 block. I cut the wires to my old burned up fuse block and used the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual to solder the wires to the right places on the fuse block. I had 2 extra fuses

(the original fuse block had 10 fuses; the new one 12) so I used one for my fuel pump.

Now I have bright headlights, a working heater, and interior lights! The cost:

3 fuse blocks @ about $4 each +$2 for a roll

of solder. $14 dollars!

The only drawback is that the new fuseblock is higher than the old one so the ashtray doesn't fit. ( I have a '71-- the fuse block's under the ashtray). But I'm not a smoker so I just fabricated a flat cover to take the place of the ashtray in the console.

Hope that helps....

[This message has been edited by John Adkins (edited August 01, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

hey thanks for the info. i think that i will try that. i shouldn't have the clearance problem though because i have a 76 280Z and the fuse block is on the right foot well. thanks again.

Guest Frank280z

That sounds pretty good. Painless has some hefty prices. Even for their add-on 3 fuse circuits $45-. I just might go that route if I decide to change that fuse block.

Frank

Guest John Adkins

Sounds just like the ones I used. Different brand on the package, but the same product....

quote:

Originally posted by DennisK:

The "HELP" line of auto parts, available almost everywhere have the stackable fuse blocks. Pro quality, and guaranteed. You slide the boxes together to get as many circuits as you wish.

Hey! This sounds interesting to me too! I've got a block in good shape but I hate the darned glass fuses. I wonder if it would be possible to get a second block out of a parts car and just use the connectors off of it to make the new one? Hrm! Need more info - frankly doing the wiring is a little scary for me. I know electronics and am no stranger to a soldering iron but geez I'd not want to screw this up!

Guest Anonymous

yeh i was looking more towards a donor block from a camaro or something. the wiring will not be much trouble but i was looking at more of one that would fit without the bulg in the kick panel. i have my entire harness out of the car and now would be a perfect time to do it. i will get a few blocks from cars and see what fits best this weekend and let you know.