HybridZ

Blake's 260z restore project

I wanted to start a project thread detailing the restoration of an early 260z I bought. The very early stages are missing, in my excitement of picking up the car I forgot to start taking pictures. I found the 260 in San Antonio TX, it was a rolling shell, with no interior. The glass is all good, the body is pretty straight, and the rust is very minimal. First order of business was to remove the suspension and get it up on a rotisserie

img0245t.jpg

img0244c.jpg

img0243o.jpg

The rotisserie is just a inch or to too short, so i can't make a complete revolution because the rocker panels hit. I'll probably just put the castors on concrete blocks if/when i need to make a complete revolution.

Now I'm finally ready to start the long process of preparing the car for paint. After a failed attempt of hiring a mobile soda blaster who said my paint is too hard for him to remove, i have decided to use aircraft stripper, wire wheels and a small siphon feed sand blaster to remove the old paint. In some areas like the roof I plan on just scuffing and shooting over the old paint, the old paint seems to be holding fine so I don't see the need in stripping it. These are the only two areas of body rust i have found so far.

img0323.jpg

Starting the patch on the top piece

img0335q.jpg

The bottom rust spot is almost finished

img0324t.jpg

I am going for a very clean, more modern look with my 260. The fender turn signals really show the cars age in my opinion so I'm going to fill them with welded in plugs. Ill be doing the same with the rear bumper indentations.

Rear turn signal plug

img0327w.jpg

Tacked in

img0328p.jpg

Smoothed out

img0330.jpg

Filling the bumper indent

img0334t.jpg

img0336nba.jpg

Front turn signal, the pictures are smaller and its hard to see, but I'm really starting to get the hang of welding these plugs in. I'm by no means an expert welder, but I do have some experience and I have a guy I work with who IS a certified welder to answer all my questions.

img0338r.jpg

img0339.jpg

I welded in all these plugs in one saturday, so hopefully next weekend ill finish the other side. My goal is to have it painted in a month, middle of may 09, but I still have a lot of prep to do.

• 1 year later...