HybridZ

REAR DIFF. CASE BREATHER

Guest zfan

MY 240Z HAS A OPEN BREATHER ON TOP OF THE REAR DIFF. IT USED TO HAVE A LINE RUNNING FROM IT TO THE TANK OR THAT VAPOR RETURN CASE WITH ALL THE HOSES CONNECTED FOR FUEL VAPOR RETURN. ANYWAY I NOTICED FLUID AROUND EXHAUST ETC. IT APPEARS TO BE COMING OUT VENT

HOLE. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR DID

YOU LEAVE VENT HOSE CONNECTED? IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO TO ALIEVIATE PROBLEM? THANKS IN

ADVANCE.

MIKE

quote:

Originally posted by zfan:

MY 240Z HAS A OPEN BREATHER ON TOP OF THE REAR DIFF. IT USED TO HAVE A LINE RUNNING FROM IT TO THE TANK OR THAT VAPOR RETURN CASE WITH ALL THE HOSES CONNECTED FOR FUEL VAPOR RETURN. ANYWAY I NOTICED FLUID AROUND EXHAUST ETC. IT APPEARS TO BE COMING OUT VENT

HOLE. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR DID

YOU LEAVE VENT HOSE CONNECTED? IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO TO ALIEVIATE PROBLEM? THANKS IN

ADVANCE.

MIKE

That's strictly a breather as the diff fluid expands/contracts cyclically during use/shutdown etc. Make sure your's isn't overfilled, remove the back inspection/fill plug (not bottom drain plug), fluid should be just beloe the level (ie. if its running out and car is sitting level that's OK, let it run out till done and now it should be at the right level). I can't see why else you'd have diff fluid coming out your breather. I've yet to have it come out of any of my breather's, that'd be like having oil spewing out your breather on your motor, if it's all done right it doesn't happen.

Guest Anonymous

Hi from Australia I'm only new to this cool site so I hope I can put in my .02 worth

On my 240Z race car it occassionaly spat a little bit of oil out of the diff breather when pushed really hard. I overcame the problem by mounting a small (.5 litre) catch can on the moustache bar and ran a piece of fuel hose from the diff breather to the can via as high as you can get it under the car. The catch can never has any oil in it. I think the fact that the hose goes up high first is possibly why

hope this helps

Al