HybridZ

huggers/shorties vs. 3/4 or full length headers

Wanting to hear opinions on how great or small benefits b/t huggers and 3/4 or full length headers can be. My motor will be a 400hp flywheel roller 350 once all tweaks are done (air in and air out). Huggers are the 'easy' route but many are discouraging me from this easy route and saying full length will be far superior......but they'll be a headache I think. Been told to get corvette full length and have them modified to fit my setup...I love the ease with which I change plugs/gaskets/oil etc etc and dont' want to sacrifice this too much...

opinions/facts please, thanks

Guest Anonymous

Hey, Ross

I've dealt with both sets. When I first bought my Z it came with a 200HP max SBC w/ S&S 1 5/8" block huggers.

Pros: Thick header flanges and good clearance.

Cons:Won't fit angle plug heads and steep primary pipe angle required.

Current setup is a 355 w/450 HP est.

Edelbrock Victor Jr.angle plug heads and S&S 1 3/4" full length headers.

Pros:Thick header flanges,extreme engine set back(HEI won't work) and 1 3/4" pipes.

Cons:Both sides of tunnel had to be bashed a bit to fit collectors,had to ding one pipe for shorty plug clearance,ding one pipe to clear steering shaft,passenger side header tight too frame and starter(must remove header to change starter), short oil filter or relocation kit required and passenger side hangs 1 1/2" below oil pan.

In hindsight I probably would have bought straight plug heads and looked for 1 3/4" block huggers.

Things I would change w/ current setup. Push engine 1/4 " more back and let an accomplished exhaust shop rework my headers for better clearance.

Hope this helps, Jeff

P.S If your interested in a set of S&S block hugger headers painted w/ no dings let me know.