HybridZ

MS smells BURNT !! Now were having FUN!

gumby240

So still no spark no fuel no more hair left & i opened the case on the ms & it has a burnt pin #2 and smells burnt. This sux ! I have checked my wiring over & over again I have no idea what the hell i am doing wrong. Extremely Dissapointed !!:(

Guest Rolling Parts

You said you had a pre-assembled SMD 3.57 MSII.

You said you had a Nissan turbo distributor.

The 3.75 pre-assembled MSII DOES NOT have a coil driver installed by default.

HOW are you driving the coil (GM HEI?, Nissan Ignitor?, BIP373?).

Unless you have the transistor circuitry to ground(control) the coil then it will never have spark.

You could throw on a stand alone distributor (like a 79-80 280ZX dizzy) and guarantee you get spark and use the Coil negative as a tach signal and use the MSII for fuel only to get it started up.

Thanks Matt that makes a lot of sense, sorry if i am a dumb a** newbie but i have to learn somehow! I am pretty sure that is making contact with the power source, i will go down and check right now. Thanks again

Yep I am a dumba** I had that in the connector along with the inner wire, so of course I wasn't getting signal from the dizzy cause it was shorting out! I redid the connection & whamo I have a tach signal, but the ve table and the O2 show it being really lean. I have the fuel set 1 squirt & simotaniously is that correct or should it be 2 squirts alternating the manual indicates that the way i have it is easier to tune, is this true? Thanks again for everyones help ! BTW it was nice to meet Justin at the Mitty did you guys get the RX7 to fire up ? I had to leave right when you were trying to crank it.

Glad to hear it's working, probably just need the VE table tuned now.

Yep, the RX-7 is up and running now. And making a good deal more power than it did on the stock ECU. :) It did have the fuel pump quit on Sunday evening, but that's now replaced.

Guest Rolling Parts

One squirt is not standard on these engines.

Two squirts and alternating actual improves control.

If you have a narrow band 02 then it's (almost) impossible to tune a turbo engine.

If you have a WB then you can see what effect each change makes almost instantly.

Best of luck.

Edit: DAMN! That speaks really well of the V3.57 if you can put +12 on the wrong pin, generate smoke in the case, and it STILL WORKS! WOW!

Then the starter took a dump,:( I will have a new one in it tomorrow & then tuning fun ! I am just glad to hear it run again its been almost three years! Hey also where should the tach lead go to for my autometer tach?