HybridZ

GM Column in a 76?

jimzdat

I came across a message on a newsgroup where a guy had put a GM column in his Z, but he didn't have a valid email, so I am wondering if anyone has done this? If so, got pics? at the very least I was hoping to find out what model GM column might work, since I will be tearing down my 76 soon (just bought a 74 to drive in the meantime)

Thanks,

Jim

First - I've not done this nor heard of it being done. Having said that - check out the Vega steering columns. When I had a Vega (ahem) I bought a column at a sawp meet for it that had tilt - my current one at the time didn't. The column was pretty short like the one in the Zs and if there were going to be one that would work and wasn't bulky that would be my first GUESS. The one I had was pretty thin.

Now - why would you want to do this? Are you looking to gain tilt or just more reliable switches maybe? If you switch to relays on the headlights the headlight switch won't burn up if that's an issue. I'd worry that with tilt you'd have your fingers too close to the dash?

Why? I would like tilt, as I am 6'8", and want to get all the leg room I can, hoping that tilt will get me a little more.(That's why I drive 2+2's-more head room) Also since I will be tearing the car down, I will probably rewire it, looking at Painless universal type, if using a GM column, can get the GM harness to easily hook up Ignition. Lites aren't a problem, I'm running H4s with 80/100 bulbs--put in relays when I installed those (read about everyone else's troubles first!)

Thats why I was hoping for pics--see if it's viable, and if it looks too tacky

Thanks,

Jim