HybridZ

What distributor do I have? How will this affect my msns install?

bmarchuk

I have an 80, and 81 280zx, setting up Msns on the 80' and was wondering if my distributor is of the VR type or CAS?

I read mobys thread and saw the info about setting the advance for the CAS type of distributor, what issues will I have if my distributor is of the VR type?

Thanks for any help in advance.. hah

Guest Rolling Parts

The Moby thread is for a turbo. The 81-83 turbo distributor requires that the timing be driven by an external ECU.

The 1980 is a non-turbo and has a non-turbo "stand alone" distributor. The non-turbo distributor has internal spark advance mechanisms and a "matchbook" coil driver so all you really need MS to do is to to control fuel. RPM for MS is a simple tach wire from Pin #24 to the negative side of the coil to get RPM. The spark control on the non-turbo engine is very good and very reliable. Personally I'd leave spark alone and just get the fuel delivery side improved.

Improving on NA spark is pointless.. hah

If at some point you want to control spark with the NA dizzy then you can search around a little bit for locked distributors. Some people weld them, some people put a bolt in to lock it down. Basically removes the mechanical advance mechanisms so you can control the timing from the computer. Be aware that factory ECU controlled distributors have rotor tips that are wider so the rotor arm does not get too far away from the cap post throught the range of advance.

Sorry, I should have clarified, this is a turbo conversion project,

It is a NA engine, but ive got my turbo, manifold, new pallnet fuel rail, 450cc dsm injectors, etc, so i will be needing megasquirt.

Can I use my NA distributor with my turbo setup + megasquirt? Or do I need to be getting a different distributor for that?

Thanks for the replies, I was have a really hard time figuring out what kind of distributor the zx na engines had,

seems as most people here have switched out their entire engine to the l28et, along with the dizzy, or used the stock zx turbo ecu with the dizzy + injectors swapped as well but im obviously not going either of those routes...