HybridZ

My 78 280z 2+2, And no I don't have a clue!

I've decided to create my own progress report, hopefully to keep me going on my project, and well.... education of my car.

Well I'm Devin of San Antonio, TX. To give a little background for myself, I come from a family that drives pickups until they fall apart. and the extent of their knowledge is how to change a tire and sometimes the oil.

I've always been a do it yourself kinda person, like my own body work after an unfortunate accident with a rock, and epoxying a fiberglass hood back togther on a buddies mach 1. ( keep notes; its never a good idea to through your car into reverse while your still traveling forward)

So basicly I've been looking for my own project car for a while, first I wanted a mustang around a 67-73, to exspensive, mazda rx4 to rare, vw bug to dorky, vw karman ghia little less dorky. THEN I came across a 280z that had the classic lines i was looking for, and not an overly complicated engine. Truthfully I've been a fan of theses cars for a while since I saw an old decaying 260z on my grandparents property, literally a skeleton.

My new toy is a 1978 datsun 280z 2+2, The previous owner lost its hood vents. threw away the back seat :( but the paint is almost decent with some clear coat flaking away. And the worst of it he tried to rice it out, by putting solid black 17 inch rims on it and a giant black spoiler with the front bumper cover that i think is an msa?. The motor was recently rebuilt with a new 4 spd (wish it was a 5 speed) So if you see me around San Antonio in a freaky looking z, dont worry im changing it soon.

Up until this point everything was grand! I was excited to pull it off the trailer that I hired to have it delivered from Alabama to San Antonio, TX. I bought the car dirt cheap, as they say its always to good to be true.

First off the "New Brakes" had air in them, and one of the brake lines was leaking....

easy fix, first time doing a brake job and the brakes are firm as hell. Awsome!

3551564026_6df6461703_o.jpg

Went into Walmart one night, came out to a surprise. Someone was nice enough to bump into my fiberglass MSA bumper cover. Cracked it right on the corner which I'm not sure I can repair, anyone care to give me a step by step on fixing fiberglass, on a curved part that wont go back to where it was?

Currently the car is sitting dead, after a few months of fun driving. After tightening the alternator belt for being to loose, the crankshaft pulley or harmonic dampener came loose on the alternator part. So the other day i tried to find one at a salvage yard and didnt bring the right tools.... arrrgghh!!! and now i have the worst sunburn! ouch!

But I did buy a new hood and nose cone to replace the old dented ones.