HybridZ

Suggestions for 85' 300zxt conversion

Guest Lance85'300zxt

Guest Lance85'300zxt

I have an 85 300zxt, I drive it daily. I was wondering what would be the best way to go for just daily mustang beatings. should I just upgrade my current v6 turbo or should I go v8? if I should go v8, what exactly would I need to do? any help is appreciated, thanks! I want to be able to smoke mustang GT s and eventually camaro SS icon_smile.gif

IMO, go with what you have. That engine has tremendous potential just waiting to be uncorked. Everyone knows the t3 turbo on the L28T is woefully small, so what does Nissan do, they design this wonderful V-6 with larger displacement and puts the same turbo on it. No wonder it only made 200hp. We have repeatedly talked about the "300-350hp recipe" for an L28T that is comprised of bolt-ons. Efficient I/C, upgraded turbo, upgraded DP and 3" exhaust, upgraded fuel system. Apply the same recipe to the V-6 and you will get stunning results because that engine has larger displacement and better breathing.

How much such upgrades will cost depends on how much you can do yourself or have skilled people to do it for a reasonable price. The expensive way is to buy these "kits", like the HKS or GREEDY $1200 I/C kit or buying the turbo from Jim Wolf because he is the expert. The alternative is to work with someone like Cartech (Corky Bell) to make you an I/C and have a welder work with pre-bent mandrel pipes to do the plumbing. Work with Turbo Specialties or Majestic to build you a turbo that suits your setup, etc, etc.

How would that compare with a V-8 swap? Well, for starters there are no kits that I know of. Unless you have an engine that puts out more hp than a Z-28, Trans-Am or Cobra, you are still going to get beat because you will at worse match their weight. Too many folks just refer to a V-8 and do not realize that not all V-8s are born equal. There is a current thread (several actually) about what it really cost for a SBC with the kind of power you need. Remember, the '85 is no lightweight, but the V-6 is, so you can expect a weight increase with a V-8 swap.

Tough choice and your wallet will probably be the deciding factor.

[ May 11, 2001: Message edited by: Scottie-GNZ ]