HybridZ

So my 240Z has 280Z seats welded in...

Turbo7MN

Don't worry, not my doing...

I was in the process of starting to pull the interior out of my 240 a while back so I could start fixing some of the major rust issues, and when I went to take the seats out, I got a little surprise. I had always known that the seats in there were not correct to the car, but I wasn't sure of the extent of the "damage".

I looked under the front of the seat and saw the seat rails overhanging the actual mounting hole, definitely late 280Z seats just ghetto rigged in there. But the rear mounting points were a much sadder story, because they were welded there too, and welded in such a way to make the factory bolt holes pretty much useless.

So I am obviously going to have to find a creative way to cut them out without damaging anything else any more than it already is, which should be a joy. And then I'm going to have to either find some proper seats and try and clean up the mounting holes, or more likely, take the opportunity to mount some Turbo II RX-7 seats in there since I will have to do some metalwork anyway.

I'm just curious of anyone else has had to deal with a similar situation and could perhaps offer some advice on the best way to go about it.

-Darren

Wow, actually welded in there...At least you know its not going to loosen or break a bolt with hard driving and I bet it feels solid, at least they didn't have improper sized wheels just welded to the hubs. lol. Its trully amazing to see what previous owner's have done whenever you start digging deeper into the car.

I loved my Z when I bought it because there was no rust on the floorboards but because it was the only Z I saw in person and because I never saw pictures of how the Z's frame was supposed to be I didn't realize that they actually cut OFF the part of the frame that was on the bottom of the floors until I saw pictures of other people's cars up on rotisseries. I still love my Z, it just made me feel like I got totally ripped off.

Wow, actually welded in there...At least you know its not going to loosen or break a bolt with hard driving and I bet it feels solid, at least they didn't have improper sized wheels just welded to the hubs. lol. Its trully amazing to see what previous owner's have done whenever you start digging deeper into the car.

I loved my Z when I bought it because there was no rust on the floorboards but because it was the only Z I saw in person and because I never saw pictures of how the Z's frame was supposed to be I didn't realize that they actually cut OFF the part of the frame that was on the bottom of the floors until I saw pictures of other people's cars up on rotisseries. I still love my Z, it just made me feel like I got totally ripped off.

Yeah... the Z is by far the oldest vehicle I have owned and sometimes I forget the amount of stupid things that can potentially be done to a car thats been around for 37 years. At least my chassis fairly solid... pretty much the only thing this car has going for it at the moment, haha. Part of the fun I guess. Fixing cars wouldn't be nearly as satisfying if it was always easy :).