HybridZ

Ekuri's V8 240z Project

This is my 1972 240z with a Chevy 305 swapped in. I bought it about two weeks ago for $750 and couldn't be happier with it. This is going to be my autocross car/pleasure cruiser once it get it fixed up and running well enough to race/drive.

After getting it home and having the rear brakes seize in the drive way me and my dad began tearing the brakes down. We found that the front brakes have been swapped for the s12 toyota calipers and the rear brakes looked as though they had recently been redone. The master cylinder, however, had rusted itself in place and the brake pedal couldn't be pressed. We removed the master cylinder, cleaned up the brake booster and repainted it, and ordered a replacement for the master cylinder. Once this was done we blew the pistons out of the front and rear brakes, cleaned off the corrosion, and put them all back into their respective calipers and pistons. The brakes should now work once I replace the master cylinder, brake booster and reconnect all the brake lines.

Yesterday we started trying to get the motor to start. It took a while to get the wiring figured out and realize the points had a a burn spot on it and the base of the distributor was corroded, but we finally got the motor sparking. Once we attached the external gas tank it started right up, but it was having trouble idling and would die if the throttle wasn't held open. The tach does not work and I assume the speedometer doesn't either. There are quite a few things that need to be done with the engine such as getting the radiator mounted and getting the gauges working.

This brings us up to the present. I have lots of plans for the car such as fixing all the rust, repainting the car, re doing the suspension, getting the motor running right, and fixing the interior. The rust is only bad at the bottom of the hatch where most of the metal is missing(picture below). Other than there most rust is just on the surface other than two small holes in the drivers side floor pan. Below are some pictures of the car.

Here are two pictures of the exterior:

dscf0507m.th.jpg

dscf0511i.th.jpg

Here is a picture of the bad rust at the bottom of the hatch:

dscf0556.th.jpg

This is the 305:

dscf0515.th.jpg

This is one of the front caliper after we reassembled them:

dscf0565.th.jpg

And finally here's the not so great interior:

dscf0518.th.jpg

Small Update: I have all the brakes reattached, master cylinder and vac booster reattached, and bled the front brakes and master cylinder. I'll have pictures in a couple days. I'm very busy with end of the year projects and studying for exams. :ugg:

Today was a good day. We got the radiator and radiator fan all mounted and running. (Radiator fan is a Flex-a-lite Black magic 150) The only bad things are that we found that the water pump leaks pretty bad and there is no thermostat. This just gives me an excuse to buy a high flow aluminum pump. :) The good news is that the engine idles well now that we upped the idle and advanced the timing a bit. After getting the motor all sorted out we tried to get it moving, however, none of the gears will engage and reverse just grinds when I try to go into it. We're guessing that something is wrong with the clutch and it is not disengaging(rusted). Hopefully we will be able to get the transmission off soon and take a look at it. Until then I might just try to get the idle a bit better and get the tach working.

All right, here are some pictures of the progress. I don't have any pictures of the brakes because i forgot to take some before I put the wheels back on.

Here's the Black Magic Fan waiting to be installed:

dscf0593.th.jpg

Here's an engine bay shot with the radiator all installed:

dscf0598.th.jpg

This is the new Brake Master Cylinder and the repainted brake booster installed:

dscf0600v.th.jpg

Finally, here is a picture of the car up on the lift waiting to have the transmission checked out:

dscf0604.th.jpg

I apologize for the bad quality of the pictures, but I was too lazy to get the lights out and get some decent pictures. :)