HybridZ

MSA Premium Exhaust System, 75-78 Z (For Stock Manifold)

I was looking at the title exhaust system on the MSA website. Has anyone here had any experience with it? Specifically, does it intall without any issues (i.e. modifications, bends, etc...)? Also, what does the car sound like after it was installed? We are looking to get a stock like sound from the exhaust system. I'm not looking for a sedan like sound but something that is relatively quiet and does not have any nasty resonances at specific rpms. If anyone has any experiences with this system please share them here.

Thank you,

Mike Nycz

P.S. Forgot to mention... We have a 1975 280z, stock manifold.

Edited by mikenycz
Update to information

I installed the MSA preimum exhaust system, as well as the 6-1 header, earlier this spring on my '75 280..

The exhaust system is bolt/slip on and, imo, is a pretty well made piece. I don't know to what extent, if any, installing the header also changes install issues and overall sound compared to the exhaust alone, so take this with a grain of salt.

As far as the sound, I think the "turbo" muffler leaves a lot to be desired. I get a loud/unpleasant resonance between 2000-2400 rpms above which it quiets appreciably and sounds very nice. Even lugging along at 1,500, the muffler sounds good. But with any sort of throttle between 2,000 - 2,500 its pretty awful.

This could be related to having the header, which, in cojuction with the larger (2.5") exhaust did knock down some low end torque.

One other issue I'm having is some rattle from the exhaust pipe hitting the underside of the differential mustache bar. This only seem to happen on take-off. It also hasn't been bad enough for me to put on the overalls and try to adjust the fit. Might get to that this weekend.

Overall though, for the money, I think the MSA exhaust system a pretty good buy. I am considering buying a different muffler though. Since you are concerned about even sound, you may want to get a few more opinions before you buy. I wouldn't recommend it for what you are looking for. Maybe the non-premium muffler is better.