HybridZ

I thought it was fixed. (overheating)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 82 280ZX N/A runs real hot on the freeway. I changed the thermostat and flushed the system with a cleaning salutation. I thought it was fixed, but today I went on a 140-mile trip and it ran hot. It runs about 250 degrees. Does anybody have suggestions on the cheapest way to fix the problem?

Guest Anonymous

make sure you are not leaking exhaust right under the thermostat housing. if you have even a small leak there, that can throw your readings off.

if you don't have an exhaust leak, take your car to a radiator shop and get them to take a true reading of the temp of the car. if its not really running at 250 degrees, it might just be your temp gauge.

When it overheats-is it really overheating? Have you touched the radiator cap w/your fingers (only for quick second) to confirm the readings are correct?

Possibly your radiator is beyond normal cleaning & may need to be hot tanked by a radiator shop.

Does it always run hot-or does it only run hot when you are in stop/go traffic or slow speeds like 15-30mph for extended periods of time....have you replaced the fan clutch?

Have you replaced your radiator cap, heater hoses or their clamps?

Definately need to have a radiator shop do a pressure test-this should only take 5-15 minutes & this will determine a pin-hole leak if one exists; unless its really a small one.

Once you know there are no leaks then you either have a sticky thermostat, defective temp.sender or temp gauge; or the wiring somewhere between the two is defective.

Start w/the pressure test first; then the thermostat; then if it persists & your sure it actually is running hot/you may have a radiator that needs to be hot tanked or replaced.

Your fan clutch is only an issue at low speeds; if the engine is actually running hot all the time-consider a pin hole leak somewhere, stuck thermostat or a stopped up radiator.

Dont let it get the best of you; this is something that everyone goes thru a few times in their lives...you'll figure it out & after you figure it out-you will be that much smarter!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Kevin mentioned replacing hoses. I'm not sure if th eZ has this problem but... hoses cansometimes collapse. If the overheating is occuring during steady-state driving conditions it could very well be the hose collapsing to the pump. Just something to consider - feed us more data! icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Okay, thanks for the replies.

The car does not overheat at any idle. It overheats doing highway speeds 70-90mph. When I pull up the safety lever on the radiator, it releases a lot of pressure. So I think the cap is fine. As far as the hoses, I'll try that. Then I'll go for the pressure test and the soak.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your help.

I got the radiator wrought out and changed the water pump. There is no more over heating. To test it, I went up hill about ten miles with the A/C on. My baby did really good. Thanks again.